computer case gives electric shock when i unplug my monitor power cord from the monitor

Jun 28, 2018
as the title says i would like to ask if it is normal to get electric shock from my computer case when i remove the power cord from the monitor?
i do this because my monitor keeps going off and on repeatedly, when i remove the the monitor cable and replug it, it stops turning off and on, so i have 2 problems i guess.. this problem appears when i change resolution also.. so i have to replug the monitor cord again(i didnt try to do it from the outlet itself, since ive done it before and it got burnt and the whole electricity in my house was shut down... i also cannot turn the monitor light off when pc i turned off, i have uninstalled all my nvidia drivers.. when i did this i could turn the monitor light off when i shut down my pc, but the monitor going off problem did not disappear, any help?

If you are getting a shock from the case, there is a good chance the case isn't grounded.

This could be due a few things....but the main things are the power cable or the outlet.

You can check this with a meter.

If you don't have a meter you can try a different outlet or cable.

I think that "more likely" it's the outlet because cables don't fail often.

Jun 28, 2018
but it only happens when i remove the monitor cable that’s why i see it weird, when both cables are plugged there is no electric shock given from the case, that’s why im confused.. so it doesn’t affect much.. but could it be indicating a problem or a potenial problem?

Well....the thing is...you SHOULDN'T get a shock when you remove the monitor cable....so it indicates an issue.

Now there is a good possibility that this won't damage anything....although there is also a possibility that it could....so I would try and get rid of it.

Another thing you can try is....take a wire and hook it to the case....connect the other end to a ground....like a steel or copper water pipe....or anything you KNOW is grounded. I think there's a good chance the problem will go away.

I agree. It sounds like your PC doesn't have a proper ground, so is using the connection from the PC to the monitor (via the video cable) to achieve grounding that the monitor has. When you unplug the monitor's power cord, the ground is lost.
Sounds like the outlet your monitor is plugged into has a ground while the PC's power outlet doesn't.

Jun 28, 2018
Could it be from the cables? i had 2 pin cables for both my case and monitor, my case used to give electric shock, but i switched for 3 pin cable and it stopped giving shock... now im using a 3pin cable for the monitor and 2 pin cable for the case.. so do u suggest me buying another 3 pin cable?

Jun 28, 2018
i switched the cables just as simple as that and electric shock is now gone, but i still have a problem.. my monitor keeps shutting off and on, to fix this i unplug the monitor cable and plug it again.. then it stays on.. but this doesnt satisfy me.. because everytime i change resolution or change display settings it goes black again and i have to unplug the cable again.. i reinstalled all nvidia drivers nothing changed.. i have windows 10 and it shows 59 hertz and when i disable drivers it shows 64 hertz.. im going to replace my monitor tomorrow hopefully, and i hope it fixes it, but if it doesn't should i turn to windows 7? will it fix this problem? also i cannot shut my monitor lights off or keyboard/mouse when pc is off. any idea?

Jun 28, 2018
ok thank you guys.. ill keep you updated, ill change my windows since i intendended to do so anyways and change my power cord which are easier for me than replacing the monitor.. if thats not going to work ill be replacing my monitor, thanks for the help ;)