Disconnecting storage for OS reinstall

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Ok, so I'm looking at upgrading my NVMe SSD in my laptop. I've pretty much put absolutely everything I can on the HDD instead but it's getting tight on the SSD.

Could I unplug my TB of steam library on the HDD and then reinstall OS and plug back in? Or would most, if not all, stuff on there need to be reinstalled too?

Solution
To reinstall steam games, you need only the steam.exe in the main steam directory, and the steam\steamapps\common folder.

Run steam.exe and it will recreate all the other needed directories. H much you will have to reinstall depends on the game. Some need only a MB or two, others need to dl half the game.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, but this depends on what is on the HDD, exactly.
Steam games, no problem.
Other personal files, no problem.
Other applications would need to be reinstalled.

For Steam games, once you have the new Steam client installed with the new OS, simply tell the client where those Steam games live on the secondary HDD.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To reinstall steam games, you need only the steam.exe in the main steam directory, and the steam\steamapps\common folder.

Run steam.exe and it will recreate all the other needed directories. H much you will have to reinstall depends on the game. Some need only a MB or two, others need to dl half the game.

Solution

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Thanks both.

USAFRet, I don't really care about anything other than steam :p it took a week at a friends house to dl that TB because of my crappy wifi, and I got a few complaints about their Amazon TV experience xD

I'll take a look, but shouldn't be any more than 20gb of other programs there. Will update.