Could the motherboard or processor be a reason for failing updates?

leftthegan

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
Ever since I bought my PC about 5 years ago there has been something wrong with Windows update. In windows 8 it never even updated and in windows 10 the updates rarely work. Maybe 4 updates ago it would revert to the previous version but now it boot loops and I have to reinstall Windows for almost every update.

The thing is I've changed every part of the computer except the motherboard, processor and RAM and I have no idea what's causing it. It's really annoying when windows forces updates and I'd really like to finally fix it. I feel like I've tried everything I can to try to fix it in windows so I was thinking it could maybe be a hardware issue but I have no knowledge about how it works or what it could be

If you need any more information just ask and thanks for helping!

Colif

Win 11 Master

I was going to ask about install until i read
but now it boot loops and I have to reinstall Windows for almost every update.
and deleted the sentence :)

He might not be clean installing so maybe good question.

leftthegan

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

I'm pretty sure the motherboard is called ASUS M51AC. I've needed to format the drive the last 2 times for it to work but I've used the same installer flash drive both times which I never thought about so that could be a problem, thanks for noticing! But there were problems before I wiped it the first time too so could there be some part of windows left because it knows that it's licensed somehow each time it happens? Would be nice if I won't have to buy a new copy of windows, I bought the computer prebuilt so I have no license key.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you clean install, you click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install, and once completed, will check PC has a legit licence stored on a Microsoft Server alongside details of PC and maybe a email address. Once it finds that, it will reactivate PC. As Rocky said, its all saved by Microsoft now.

Do you have the last BIOS? It would be about only thing there that might help downloads, not a lot of drivers on site - https://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/M51AC/HelpDesk_Download/