3D Printing Thermistor wrong thread.

Frankie_12

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
I have recently taken up the hobby of 3D printing. I have experienced many issues, but not one that I could not solve such as this yet. I have a heating block that has a hole for a thermistor that is threaded in M4. My thermistor is threaded in M3. I have searched the internet for some sort of thread adapter that I could screw my thermistor into, then screw into the heating block, but I have had no success. I have also tried to just stick it in with a mixture of thermal paste and super glue, but it also was unsuccessful. If anybody could shine some light on my situation, that would be amazing!

Solution
You need to get compatible parts.
3D print heads are very touchy about temperature propagation. Glue and thermal paste will not do it. Nor will an adapter.

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Could you link us a few pictures or perhaps the product page of your printer, or better the heater assembly itself.

My printer uses a Chimera hotend with E3D V6 parts. The thermister is a cartridge style. It slides into the heater block and is held in place with a grub screw. The cartridge itself is potted with resin. I don't know what the max temp is for it.

The way you have worded it sounds like you too have a cartridge style thermistor. I only know of 2 types of mounting solutions but I think I've found your style on the web. I would love to help more but again more information is needed.\

The solution I can think of right now with the information I have is to either purchase an M3 thermistor of the same electrical properties as the one you have. Or turn down the M4 screw on a lathe and rethread it for M3.