Fresh install of windows gone wrong. Trying to get user folder to be a login.

Morcaster

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2013
I was in Basic/AIT when my boyfriends computer decided to keep having an issue with rebooting over and over. He had a friend look at it and somehow got a fresh install of windows to happen.

There is a new user here I don't want. I want Bryan's old user to login on the computer and have it be back to normal with his desktop and everything else.

I see that there, his info is all saved on the other hard drive and I tried to transfer the user folder to the current hard drive with windows on it and restarted. But I still only have this new user only able to login.

Can I get some help to get this back to normal?

And how can I keep the user on my bigger hard drive (one without windows) and still have it work on the main one?

Solution
You can't move the old user onto the new install, since they clearly fresh installed win 10 he/you have to set up the user that is there now or make a new local user for him with a name he wants. https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account

You cannot use the old folder, as Windows is clever enough to know that though username might be the same, it wasn't created by the same user (I believe users have codes attached to them in background we don't see, win 10 can though and can tell the difference). That and many of the shortcuts he has in his user folder probably point at files that aren't on the new PC.

You can't run the user folder from anywhere other than C drive. You can...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't move the old user onto the new install, since they clearly fresh installed win 10 he/you have to set up the user that is there now or make a new local user for him with a name he wants. https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account

You cannot use the old folder, as Windows is clever enough to know that though username might be the same, it wasn't created by the same user (I believe users have codes attached to them in background we don't see, win 10 can though and can tell the difference). That and many of the shortcuts he has in his user folder probably point at files that aren't on the new PC.

You can't run the user folder from anywhere other than C drive. You can however have library folders like Music, documents, Pictures, Movies on another drive. If that is what you mean, we can do that much though you may need to take ownership of the folders on old drive, as windows once again knows you didn't create them with current user.

Solution