Most 'Powerful' Monitor That a RX 560 Can Push?

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Before i rush out and buy the wrong thing, i thought i'd ask the experts. With my old pc and a new RX 560 gpu, the most i've had, display wise, is a 24" 1080p 60hz acer monitor. What i wish to do, if feasible, is to buy a larger screen; at least a 27" or hopefully, a 32". 1080p is fine. Would i benefit from a higher refresh rate? Should i find one with freesync since my gpu has that?
I use the monitor to play mostly open world games like witcher 3 and the in-game settings are default, probably medium. I watch movies and tv as well.

So, am i doomed to remain at 24" and 60hz? I don't want my games or movies to look all washed out, yeah. Thanks

Solution
Yes. Yes. The card can output higher the lower the settings/resolution you set the game at. It doesn't hurt the monitor to receive less than its maximum refresh rate, you just aren't getting the full benefit of it. One thing to look for with Freesync monitors is what their Freesync range is, aka where Freesync will actually kick in. For your use case if you can find one that kicks in at a lower FPS that would be best. But again it won't be a world shattering difference.
Screen size does not matter only resolution. So if you want a big screen go ahead and buy one. Higher refresh is probably pointless with the 560 as it will have trouble getting 60fps on a 1080. However Freesync is free for manufacturers (unlike G-Sync) so there should be little to no price difference between ones that have it and ones that don't.

They'd likely perform about the same. You'd probably have some trouble running games at 1440p on them, but you can always turn in game resolution back down to 1080p.

Personally I like the wider screen LG more. But that's more of a personal preference over a technical one.

Well the 1070 is targeted at the 1440p category. They should perform at near max settings at those resolutions. You can always use a lower category and run with lower settings but I think that kind of defeats the purpose. Having lots of pixels of lower quality graphics doesn't really do anything.

That said any graphics card, even an iGPU can run a 4k display for normal stuff. This really only matters for games.

1060/580 > 1080p
1070/Vega 46 > 1440p
1080/1080Ti > 4K

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
g sync monitors seem to be expensive :(

I run windows 7; will that be a consideration with a monitor? Just noticed on the LG site, one of there monitors shows windows 10 in the specs.

OS doesn't matter. They just stick those compatibility stickers on monitors for marketing.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
In the Asus specs for the 560:
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/RX560-2G/specifications/
it shows:
Digital Max Resolution:5120x2880

Wouldn't this mean i can use a monitor with higher that 1080p if i want?

It can display the desktop and probably play a movie at the rez, yes. You won't be able to play games at the rez unless you like to play at 1 FPS. Even the iGPU can run 5k displays for basic functionality.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
basic function; i get it. Thanks; i get stressed out over this stuff. So, can i utilize the wide screen monitor from ebay and turn down the rez in windows and inside witcher 3 to make it look good and play 30-50 fps? Then when i get a better gpu, then i could crank it up? And about that 75hz refresh rate vs my card's 60hz; would the freesync take care of that?

Yes. Yes. The card can output higher the lower the settings/resolution you set the game at. It doesn't hurt the monitor to receive less than its maximum refresh rate, you just aren't getting the full benefit of it. One thing to look for with Freesync monitors is what their Freesync range is, aka where Freesync will actually kick in. For your use case if you can find one that kicks in at a lower FPS that would be best. But again it won't be a world shattering difference.

Solution

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for laboring with me on this Wolf. Lg doesn't list this particular P- model on their page, the page they have that actually describes the freesync range but it does show the non P version 34UM60, also a 34" IPS 2560x1080 as being 40-75Hz but that is only via Display Port...arrgh. They show also the 34UM60 29" screen as 40-75hz via HDMI. So, if the range is the same on the 'non P' model AND if i'll be okay with switching back to a dvi cable, guess it would work...

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Here's a question that would make all my concerns moot? What if i sprang for the RX 580? I want to stick with AMD. Would that card insure i get the most from the LG 34UM60-P 34" IPS WFHD Ultrawide Freesync Monitor? :)

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
One more thing, i promise. Since i'm still rockin an 8yo phenom 2 955 and i'm having to put these pcie 3.0 cards in my 2.0 slot; should i be looking at upgrading my pc before stressing over monitors? putting my 560 into a new 3.0 slot would be awesome.