Monitor "Ghosting" Problem

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
I bough a Dell 1440p 144hz monitor about a year ago. Since i've had it, it has had a "ghosting" problem. I only notice it when there is something moving across a color that it contrasts with i.e. black text on a white background. I'm not sure if this is actually "ghosting" as it isn't noticeable unless things contrast. I've also checked the DP cable and tried using another. Not sure if there is a solution, but i'd like to at least find out what is causing this.

Solution
That sounds like inverse ghosting, caused by the screen's overdrive being too aggressive. Overdrive is used to improve pixel response times and reduce ghosting, but it can potentially cause some trails to appear behind objects...

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/

You might check if your monitor includes an option to reduce how much overdrive it applies. Not all monitors will include such a setting though.
That sounds like inverse ghosting, caused by the screen's overdrive being too aggressive. Overdrive is used to improve pixel response times and reduce ghosting, but it can potentially cause some trails to appear behind objects...

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/

You might check if your monitor includes an option to reduce how much overdrive it applies. Not all monitors will include such a setting though.

Solution

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

Yes this seems to be it, the monitor has a "response time" option. Moving it to normal from "fast" seems to fix this. I assume the added "response time" from this won't be too drastic?

The setting is most likely just controlling overdrive. When the screen updates to the next frame, pixels will likely start changing color at the same time, but might take slightly longer to reach their final color to avoid overshooting it. Any effect on perceived input lag would likely be quite minimal compared to the time it takes the frame to get rendered and for the screen to start displaying it.