Scan single file for bad sectors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whateverdude

Proper
Jun 21, 2018
So i downloaded an installer via torrent and it cannot extract cause of CRC error.
Now it's most likely something went wrong in the downloading process but i'd like to be sure it wasn't because of bad sectors on my HDD.
My HDD is 2TB so if i had to scan it all for errors it would take some time.
Is there a way to scan just the part of the installer file for bad sectors ?

whateverdude

Proper
Jun 21, 2018

Wow what you do all day eat 2 times and sleep ?
A 2TB scan means it has to write and read 2TB of data.
That takes time.

Oh yeah and then it has to write back the data it was written on the beginning.
That's why it takes longer than formatting.

USAFRet

Titan
A CRC error (Cyclic Redundancy Check) generally indicates a failing drive. Not simply a bad or corrupt file.

You need to run whatever scan you were going to do, and let it run.
If it takes until tomorrow, so be it.

And you also need to run some deep virus and malware scans.
"Installer" files from a torrent source are a frequent vector for all sorts of malware.

whateverdude

Proper
Jun 21, 2018
Dude antivirus programs are for the noobs.
People should learn that they don't need them and you should stop scare them.
I haven't use an antivirus from decades since comodo had that brilliant idea to ****up their UI on version 5.x i think ?
Well except of a sort break when kaspersky released their first free antivirus that was scan only but then they changed it on live monitoring so **** them too.
I have downloaded thousands of torrents and ofc i don't need an antivirus to see if they are legit or not but for the record only once i had download malware and that was probably just a miner, removed before even had the chance to run, they are so easy to spot, the only malware i worry about it's Windows.

2)Some drives sometimes have bad sectors doesn't mean they fail, can last decades after that.

3)Ever heard of the concept of Sample test ? I think it's a great concept.
Specially if the probability factor on the sample is higher than the average.

4)I downloaded again it failed again :(

5)Changed drive, changed torrent client, changed tracker.....gotta work this time.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Wow..... just ...... wow..... :sarcastic:

Dude, you seem to be under several misconceptions to say the least. I just ran a check on my laptop's 1 TB hard drive; it took all of 4 minutes, YMMV. I guess you know that Windows 10 has a built in antivirus program called Defender.
Question: do you drive with no insurance and no spare tire?

No wonder you have CRC errors on your drive. I'm guessing you also think it's not necessary to replace them periodically, in addition to your idea about antivirus programs. That's literally one of the least insightful things I've ever heard anybody say on an online forum in the last ten years.

whateverdude

Proper
Jun 21, 2018

1)We obviously talking about different type of tests

1.5)I do know about windows defender and that's why the first thing i do when i install windows is to type "gpedit" on search.

2)I do drive without insurance and spare tire

3)I'm running a ryzen with memory chips tested at 3200Mhz.
They usually refused to run more than 2933Mhz tho and that was my motherboard's QVL also.
Very recently i updated the Bios that enabled me to raise my memory to 3200Mhz.
I didn't think much of it and everyone was working fine (except of the file that refused to extract).
But i had my suspicions because on a typical CRC error the extraction always stops at a certain point but that extraction was stopping at random.
Anyway who would had thought that was the memory (certainly not you or me) until winblows poped a nice "stopcode" bluescreen on me.
Which prompted me to run a memory test that failed i raised dram voltage to 1.4v and it passed.
No more bluescreens since then so that must be it.

That's good that you have no more bluescreens.

Do you also have no more CRC errors?

What does running the group policy editor have to do with knowing about windows defender? I don't see how one has anything to do with the other unless you're disabling malware and virus processes using the gp editor for some reason. If you are, there are certainly easier ways to go about disabling WD although unless you're running a third party scanner it seems like a really bad idea in this day and age.

whateverdude

Proper
Jun 21, 2018

I don't know another way to disable WD and i'm pretty sure there is no easier one.
Turning the switch off for realtime protection on settings won't do anything, winblows will turn it back on a few minutes later.

Virus, malware, trojans, ad-ware, malicious software, others, these are all terms that many scanners use both unilaterally and interchangeably these days. Whether it is technically a virus, or malware, or a worm, or some other vulnerability is irrelevant. Windows defender is no longer simply a virus scanner. It scans and protects against malware and other vulnerabilities too much as most other scanners labeled as anti-malware or antivirus do as well for the past several years. You would be hard pressed to find a scanner that only handles one kind of malicious code anymore.

So to that extent, I've had several attempted infections over the last ten years. Too many to count. And I'm VERY fastidious about not allowing or opening email from unknown sources, from known sources that I've not heard from in a very long time, not going to the kind of sites that tend to have malicious code embedded or use questionable ads that might, do not source my software or games through torrented sources, in short, I do all that I can to reduce the possibility of anything malicious getting onto my system. And still, there have been a few occasions when my scanning software has been the savior from what would likely have been a bad day scenario.

Not having some kind of protection is pure stupidity, at best. I'm not saying YOU are stupid, but without some form of protection, you are surely putting yourself into that category where those kind of people live and breathe.

USAFRet

Titan

Never going to the doc for a checkup guarantees you'll never have a disease, right?

"...downloaded an installer via torrent..." is the very definition of 'Please infect me'.

But what do we know? We just started using PC's last week.

Re scanning the HDD for errors you said "1)We obviously talking about different type of tests". The test I run when I suspect it has errors is the one you get when you:
1) Start File Explorer
2) Right click the C: drive and click Properties
3) Click Tools -> Check.

Since you've found and fixed your problem, that's academic for now, but still a good thing to know about the next time you might need to do it.

popatim

Titan
LOL - I've been infected at work thru an Ad on a trusted news page. This means it got thru our firewall & Barracuda traffic scanner, only to get detected by the PC's A/V after it loaded. You just can't stop some stuff and that's why offline Backups are important.

whateverdude

Proper
Jun 21, 2018
wpgwpg that test is well known to me and i assure you it doesn't detect bad sectors.

As for the rest of you thank you for not calling me stupid, i don't call you stupid neither, i just think that having an antivirus dragging down your system is just useless plus the effort needed to deal with false positives.

If that's how you wanna roll no problem with me, everyone is entitled of his opinion, i am trying hard to recall if i had ever a malware in my system or if my antivirus i had long time ago had ever detect one but i can't really recall anything.

I guess i'm just lucky.

popatim

Titan
Back in the day when I didn't have personal info on the pc I didn't use A/V either; not with a restore taking under 20 minutes- thanks to Ghost. It got me in the habit of having a second bootable drive with my image on it and still continue doing that but using Reflect Free instead. Have an issue? Throw install the drive and boot from it.

4745454b

Titan
False positives? Every time my AV runs, which is set to while I'm sleeping, it just tells me scan complete and nothing found. Since moving to my current system I don't think I've had a virus issue at all. Probably around 3-4yrs now. Not one. This is probably mostly due to my script blocking and keeping windows updated. The only time I got "false positives" as you call them was back in my college days when I downloaded tons of stuff.

So i downloaded an installer via torrent

Oh, now I see. To get your stuff installed you don't run an AV? So that no "false positives" are found? Interesting concept. Please don't suggest it to anyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS