Windows 10 Will Not Install

Ramjet151

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a nvme drive to put in my computer (hurray!) but my computer will not install windows. I made a rookie mistake in my excitement and wiped my ssd for some reason. Now windows will not install to either my nvme or ssd. I've tried all the standard steps of trying different components. I have also went through with a motherboard and ram rma.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on doing a cpu rma but I thought I should ask for some help first.

OH, and none of my window backups work with the computer either. It will BSOD with kmode exception, system service exception, and cache manager. This also happens half way through a fresh windows install.

Components:
Ryzen 1600
Gigabyte AB350N mini itx
16gb Corsair Vengeance
Nvidia gtx 1080
Samsung 840 Evo 250gb ssd
Western Digital 500gb nvme
Silverstone ssfx power supply 500 watt

Ramjet151

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
All of my drives appear on the list to install to.

I'll go through with all the standard steps to install windows and after the second stage a BSOD will appear. Usually of the cache manager error. Sometimes it will spit out kmode exception or system service exception.

I'm not much sure on what else to do since I have tried different hardware configurations except for the processor.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The CACHE_MANAGER bug check has a value of 0x00000034. This indicates that a problem occurred in the file system's cache manager.

They all look like potential memory errors to me. Try making a USB using the free version of Memtest86 and boot into it and check you new ram, 1 stick at a time. Any errors are too many and would explain the BSOD you are getting during install. Stick needs to be removed/replaced if you get even 1 error.

Did you update BIOS?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Cache manager bsod can also be the hard drive, seems unlikely on 2 but best to check.

The CACHE_MANAGER error occurs when, as the name implies, a problem occurs in your file system’s cache manager. File systems are, basically, how data is organized on your hard drive. If you’re using an older system, it’ll be using FAT32, but if you’re using a newer version of Windows, you’ll have NTFS. Cache is saved data that your computer thinks is going to be used again — so the next time it’s used, it loads faster.

This problem, however, can also stem from your RAM, or memory.

There’s actually two kinds of memory — volatile and nonvolatile. Volatile memory is RAM — which is used for, say, having multiple tabs open at once. Nonvolatile memory is on your hard drive — the cache — and is used for things that may or may not be reused later.

try this with 1 drive attached at a time

boot from the installer, on the screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type chkdsk /f and press enter

I would run this on both drives

Ramjet151

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Alright. So I ran chkdsk /f on both drives individually and both came up with.

The type of the file is NTFS
Cannot lock current drive
Windows cannot run disk check on this volume because it is wrote protected

Colif

Win 11 Master
okay, since both drives are empty, you can likely answer Y to the 1st paragraph that pops up under that about unmounting the drive. It may also show a 2nd paragraph under asking if you want to run at next startup, say yes.

medab1

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
When installing don't do anything.
Windows creates its' own partitions.
People really screw up "wiping" or "creating partitions".
Don't do anything.
Just install the new operating system.

Ramjet151

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Unfortunately I am having no luck with those commands. I let windows do its own thing when I install. From as far as I can tell my drives are still locked to read only. Unless chkdsk keeps giving me a response for the USB stick with the windows installer which would make sense.

Did you reset the BIOS after flashing the BIOS? Use the two pins (clrCMOS) and shorten these while power is unplugged from the wall

how did you create the windows install usb drive?
recreate windows install boot stick by Microsoft´s windows media creation tool
Use a different USB drive and/or USB2.0 on the motherboard (the black and not the blue ones)

Ramjet151

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
I have cleared the Cmos. Unfortunately I have tried creating the boot stick on different USB drives and using different methods (Rufus and windows media creation tool). It all turns out the same.

I decided to run a test on one of my USB drives and Rufus detected 7 bad blocks. Could this be the cause?

I also tried loading Ubuntu again and it had a kernel panic. So even Ubuntu will not install. I have a picture of what Ubuntu dumped on the screen if you with to see.