My download speed sometimes exceeds my ISP's limit (by A LOT)

Jun 27, 2018
TORRENT ALERT!
This thread touches the subject of Peer 2 Peer networking and, although very briefly, torrenting. It does not, however, discuss any copyrighted material downloaded via torrenting without authorization.

I'm asking this question out of pure curiosity, because I thought that if my ISP were to put any limit on my download/upload speed there would be no way of ignoring/changing it, other than hacking into their systems (or upgrading to a faster package to avoid jail time).

I use BitComet for some of my downloads and sometimes, usually when there are hundreds (or more) of peers available, my download speed goes all the way up to 6500 KB/s (my ISP limits me to 20 Mbps for foreign connections and 30 Mbps for local ones). I thought BitComet might be showing fake numbers for some reason, but Task Manager also registers up to 50 Mbps of Network Usage whenever that happens. And if that's not proof enough - recently I bought a new computer and connected it to the Internet on a different address in the same town, via a different router (still TP-Link, but a different model), but the same ISP and package. Still happens.

It doesn't care if I'm connected to local or foreign peers. But it only happens in BitComet and nowhere else.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Moderator Alert!
Torrents are perfectly legal and as such, can be discussed here on Tom's Hardware. The only issue is when you get into the aforementioned usage of torrent software.

My guess would be that you are right in that BitComet is giving you false numbers. Maybe it's an aggregate of the multiple seeds and the speeds from when content is being drawn.

-Wolf sends

Jun 27, 2018
Sorry, Wolfshadw, I edited that bit out.

It does download faster, though I have never ran a time test on the same download to verify it for sure. Even if not completely fake the numbers might still be exaggerated.

TRENDING THREADS