Your question

Athlon 1.0GHz T°C

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2001 1:32:15 PM

Hi everybody,

I've a very serious pb here : i've just bought a new mobo (ASUS A7V) with an AMD Athlon 1GHz. Since then, my life has changed, but not in the good way.
First of all, when I first mount them in my box, it work quite well. But after a while, the PC started to act really weird : first time, switched off alone ; then, after being off, refused even to be powered on (when I pushed the power switch, nothing happened). From time to time, the comp would switch on...to crash after W98SE started !!!
I've checked all connection, everything id fine, there's no wrong connection.
What is more interesting is that I had absolutely no pb with my old config (P3BF+Celeron 300A o.c. at 450) !
Yesterday, I remounted everything, and the machine could be powered, but got the very same pb + new : crashed after W98se started, and even twice while in BIOS !!!
I realized that my CPU was around 70°C, is that normal ? Could the mobo be responsible for my trouble ? Can the CPU be damaged, although I didn't see anything ?

Please, help !!!

zentrad

More about : athlon 0ghz

April 6, 2001 1:37:56 PM

No, that temperature is a bit high. 35-50 is more like normal. It wont get Damaged at 70C but I wouldn't run it for long durations at that temp.

Which heatsink are you using?
Are you using any thermal compound?

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2001 1:42:34 PM

what HSF are you using, that is teh most likely cause of your probs...

Opinions are like arseholes .... everybody’s got one.... :smile:
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2001 3:03:33 PM

I don't know the exact reference, but it is a big one (really !) made of aluminum.
Also, I still have not put some compound under it. My question concerning this is : when the hsf is mounted on the CPU, it touched it on a very small surface (the metal part of the Athlon, at the center of it). Thus, should I put compound only at the center of the CPU, or everywhere (i.e. : on the chip mountde on the CPU) ?

Thanks dudes
zentrad
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2001 3:05:57 PM

The heat sink is aluminum made, with a big encased fan over it.
I used thermal coumpound (TC) at first, but when I unmounted / remounted the PC, I wiped all the TC.
One more question : is the mobo likely to have a default ?

Thanks
zentrad
April 6, 2001 3:15:01 PM

Put some Thermal Compound on the core (the middle part). Dont put too much.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2001 3:29:41 PM

OK !!

I will try it tonight. If that does not work, I hang myself and bring the computer to my retailer ;) )

Thanks, I will let you know how things went on
zentrad
April 6, 2001 4:14:44 PM

From <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new"> Overclockers</A>
AMD's absolute temp maximum is 90 C up to 1000 MHz and 95 C over that. Anyone even close to these temps is one step away from a toasted CPU.
AMD's specs contained in "AMD Thermal, Mechanical, and Chassis Cooling Design Guide" (p. 13, Publication # 23794 Rev: B Issue Date: October 2000) gives the following guidelines:

CPU up to 48 watts: C/W of .55
CPU up to 55 watts: C/W of .41
CPU up to 70 watts: C/W of .32

C/W means that for every watt the CPU radiates, the heatsink is supposed to cool the core by C/W x watts plus ambient temp. AMD specs system temp at 45 C, which is on the warm side. What all this means when you run the numbers is the following:

CPU up to 48 watts: 26.4* + 45 = 71.4 C
CPU up to 55 watts: 22.6 + 45 = 67.6 C
CPU up to 70 watts: 22.4 + 45 = 67.4 C
*(48 x .55)

Now that's AMD's Guideline; if you're overclocking, experience has been that temps in the mid 40s and up will start to impact stability. Temps per AMD are OK at normal speeds and voltages.
April 6, 2001 4:45:59 PM

Another thing to consider:

If you are using the "box" from your Celeron, it probably has a 235 watt power supply, which is not enough. You will need at least a 300W supply.

Again, if you are using the same case as your Celeron, you may need to get more airflow into and out of the case. You should have a fan on the front of the case blowing air into the case, and a second fan on the rear of the case, near the processor, blowing air out. You cannot cool the processor with hot air!

Also note that the power supply should have vents on the bottom, which will draw the heat away from the processor.

My Celeron case does not meet any of the above conditions, so I would not consider putting an Athlon chip and MB into it.

You may want to consider a new case as well.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
April 6, 2001 5:40:26 PM

don't know that this is your problem, but i can tell you that i recently had similar problem with asus A7V kt133 and 1.1 amd. it would not always power up and other werid stuff when trying to load os. turned out it was a bad hd controller on the mobo.

Megaton
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2001 6:36:34 PM

> One more question : is the mobo likely to have a default ?

A default what? If you clear the CMOS, it'll load default settings for all the BIOS options if that's what you mean.

You definitely want thermal compound. It fills in the little imperfections in the surfaces of the CPU and heat sink so they contact each other with the maximum surface area. Answering your question from another post, the little metal part in the middle is the whole CPU, the rest of the chip just spreads the signals out to all the pins. (Okay that's a little simplified but mostly accurate.) It's called the core and is the only part you need to put thermal compound on. The other parts of the chip don't touch the heat sink so there would be no point. Also, you only need a very small amount of compound. Like I said, it's just filling in tiny bumps in the surface and if you put too much on, it ends up obstructing the heat flow instead of helping it.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2001 7:46:12 PM

I have a 250 watt power supply with a Tbird 1.2@1266, GF2 Ultra, etc.etc. with no problems whatsoever.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2001 10:24:39 PM

did u have to change the mobo ?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2001 10:34:06 PM

Ok ! I put some thermal compoud between the core and the hsf, and it seems to work fine (the Athlon is currently running well as I write !)
But now, I have a very serious question about my CPU : when I unmounted the HSF from the CPU, I realized that the surface of the core was a little damaged ! When I say damaged, it is like some if the surface was gone (just the edge in fact). I also realized that the sticker under the CPU had begun to burn (it is brown).
So my question is simple : is what I saw on my CPU really serious, though it works fine ? Did I damage the core, or only some kind of "protection" that is still there ? Is the visible surface of the core very fragile ? Will my CPU last or could it die within a short time ?

Thanks for ur help !

zentrad
April 7, 2001 2:55:58 AM

Some work, some won't. Depends on what you have in the box. The safest bet for an Athlon is a PS with at least 300W.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2001 10:19:24 AM

My PS is 300W, but got probs since the beginning.
Can the mobo be inhibited from starting up (I mean when the power button is pushed) because of CPU temperature ?

thanks
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2001 3:54:45 PM

Well, now we know you mounted the heat sink improperly (damaged CPU) and you were really running too hot (brown sticker). I'd say you're lucky the thing works. You may have shortened the thing's life but there isn't a human on the planet that could tell you by how much or what it's original life expectancy was. As long as your temps are nice now and your system is stable, I wouldn't worry too much. After all, CPU lifetimes are all relevant. Maybe yours would have lasted 20 years and now will only last 10. That's a bad ratio, but I know I won't be using my new computer in 10 years so I wouldn't care. Good luck.
April 7, 2001 6:11:20 PM

Amd cpu is g-a-r-b-a-g-e!! it is too fragile, too gay, they need to redesign and add thermo protection and make their cpu sturdy like *ntels.

AMD is ripping ppl off, get your money back!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"
April 7, 2001 9:18:13 PM

I was wondering when you'd show up.

:cool: Since we cannot get what we like, let us like what we can get
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2001 11:08:10 PM

make sure your cpu fan is on the fan 1 slot on your motherboard all others crash the system
April 7, 2001 11:52:48 PM

I've heard of a couple of people who chipped the ceramic core on their Intel CPU's (SuperOrbs suck all around, it seems), and the things still work fine. I've also worked with PC expansion boards where it's actually <i>normal</i> for their labels to turn brown from heat--yet they still work (these were Aculab Prosody boards). So...just because a sticker toasts, or just because the ceramic core is chipped, doesn't indicate a failure.

The best thing you can do to find out is use the computer. Load it down. Run SETI on it and see how it does. If it survives a day of that, I'd say you're fine.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg&lt;/A>
April 8, 2001 2:30:14 AM

<font color=blue>"Can the mobo be inhibited from starting up (I mean when the power button is pushed) because of CPU temperature ?"</font color=blue>

Not based on temperature.

However, depending on the motherboard, the bios can immediately shut down the machine if a working fan is not detected.

Once in Windows, you can run "Motherboard Monitor" and "Shutdown" which can monitor the system temperature and shut the system down if a temperature (or voltage) threshold is exceeded.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2001 7:47:01 AM

Thanks.
The trouble is the following : if I manage to put my PC "ON", it would just work fine, though W98se crashes regularly (which did not happen as often when I used to work on my P3BF + Celeron 300A). However, if I shut the system down (what never happens by itself), I am unable to repower it !! I mean, when I push the power button, nothing happens !
Now, I have tried one thing, but only once : I unplugged and replugged the "Power Swith" wire, on the board. After that, I pushed the power button, and the comp restarted !
I really do'nt understand what's going on with that computer ! I have been lmounting PCs for more than 5 years, and it's the first time I have so many problems !
Just for information : this happens from the beginning, when I had put some thermal compound between CPU and HSF.
Does AMD CPUs really suck ? Or is it the mobo which has a pb ? In fact, I have noticed this pb even with mobo alone connected to ATX PS. Just keep in mind than when I replace the new mobo by the ancient one, all works fine.

Please HEEELLPPPP !!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2001 9:52:07 AM

Just to clear some points :
When I first mounted my new machine, the mobo, CPU and HSF WERE in fact perfectly well mounted (this incudes use of thermal compound). And though, my mobo would simply not switch on when I pushed the power button on. In fact, it was even worse : the mobo would turn on...sometimes, and sometimes not. Sometimes, it would switch on 10 times OK, and then, the eleventh time...nothing, for a while, then after countless pushings...it would go on !!
Now, evrything is well mounted, and the pb is still not solved...I'm thinking of giving back my Asus A7V133 and the CPU to go back to Intel. In fact, I feel very disappointed by Asus mobo behaviour.
Just for the end, my preious mobo is an Asus P3BF, which works perfectly in my case. My PS is 300W, so i also know it's not that.

Anyone's got an idea ?????

zentrad
!