Version 1803 Install Didn't Recognize my Network Hard Drive

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Came across an oddity. I have done many Win 10 installs in different builds here in my residence. They all recognize my network and any devices on it w/o fail. But this last build (Asrock AB350M Pro4/Ryzen 3 2200g/Win 10 Pro) refused to recognize the Buffalo Network Attached Storage device on my LAN. Occasionally it would find a "Roku" (which I don't have) or some equally obscure device I didn't have. I think it was seeing the ancient Buffalo NAS and registering it as something else, like it didn't have it in its database.

Tried several re-installs, and many trips thru the Settings/Network and Internet section of Win 10 Pro to no avail.

Finally, I tried an older (pre-1803) Win 10 Pro installation disk and Bingo! The NAS was recognized immediately. Unfortunately that meant a massive set of updates to sit thru. This time however, even after the 1803 update did its thing and the required re-setup that follows, the NAS remained recognized. Odd.

Just wondered if anyone else had a similar problem with this latest 1803 update? I've been noticing a lot of 1803 problems threads on the forum.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I had to re-install all network drivers on all Win 10 rigs after the 1803 update so that devices could see each other on my home network.

Since 1803, two of my systems have old AMD video drivers (like original Win 10 generic drivers) listed in pending Windows Updates that I can't remove, even though much more current drivers are installed and working properly. I am hoping the next cumulative update cleans this up.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Ah, good to know. Thanks. I too am hoping it is just a glitch with the last update.
I even installed the board's latest LAN driver, to no avail. Even ran the Buffalo installation software, and it couldn't find its own drive. Yet, at no point did Win ever have a problem seeing my printer/fax/scanner, other PCs, router, gateway, even my iPhone. Just not the NAS.