Slow Computer Help!!

kx250_man

Reputable
May 23, 2015
I have an HP laptop with Windows 10 Home on it. Most of the time the computer is slow. I have turned off the Windows effects and start up programs. I have ran Malwarebytes and the disk defragment. Also my disk is at 99% most of the time and my CPU at 100% sometines also. (Shown on the task manager) Any Ideas?
My laptop info

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz 2.16 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB (3.89 GB usable)

Solution
This sounds like a problem caused by hardware. Windows 10 doesn't like being installed on a hard drive which will decrease performance significantly. Opening a file or program/application will make the hard drive go around 98-100% usage. The processor is enough to do light everyday web browsing and running simple programs (documents, paint, web browsers, etc.) and simple games (windows store grade games or much older games). If you are trying to run stuff other than this that may be an issue for the processor to try and run. If you are doing simple tasks like I said then your hard drive is most likely the major issue. All you can do about the hard drive is buy something like an SSD and reinstall windows on it. They don't have a good...
Jul 2, 2018
This sounds like a problem caused by hardware. Windows 10 doesn't like being installed on a hard drive which will decrease performance significantly. Opening a file or program/application will make the hard drive go around 98-100% usage. The processor is enough to do light everyday web browsing and running simple programs (documents, paint, web browsers, etc.) and simple games (windows store grade games or much older games). If you are trying to run stuff other than this that may be an issue for the processor to try and run. If you are doing simple tasks like I said then your hard drive is most likely the major issue. All you can do about the hard drive is buy something like an SSD and reinstall windows on it. They don't have a good amount of space compared to their price though so that is up to you. If you fall back to an older version of windows like 8.1 or 7 it will probably run better as well. I would wait for other replies since I am not entirely the most experienced person but keep this answer in mind.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
With only 4GB of RAM, you'll be using the swapfile a lot the second you attempt to do more than one or two relatively trivial tasks concurrently. If that is the cause of your 100% HDD activity, then the swapfile may do short work of burning through your SSD's program-erase cycle life if you decide to go down the SSD upgrade route.