PC Acting up lately

TheDakPowers

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
Recently, my PC has been starting to act weird, like Norton asking to optimize my disk, my Steam crashing and not starting up again unless i restart my computer, applications not responding and I've had to forcefully turn off the power to my PC to restart it as if I press restart, It will be stuck on the restart screen forever. I have tried resetting my overclocking as i thought that might be the problem but right now, I'm pretty concerned for my PC. For the Norton asking to optimize the disk, I've tried it and it goes on for so long and don't even know if it will do anything. I want to resolve this issue ASAP. Thanks.

System Specs:
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 1050
CPU: i5-7400
RAM: 8gb

Solution
Sorry to waste your time, just found out that it was a portable harddrive that made it slow, once i pulled the harddrive out, everything went back to normal. But anyway thanks for your replies.
I would start with opening up an administrative command prompt from the start menu (click Start, type "cmd" without quotes, right click Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator) and run chkdsk on the affected drive (e.g. "chkdsk /r c:"). Don't really want to let Norton fix it because I don't know exactly what it is doing.

It will need to reboot the computer to run the check with the /r switch, and it will take awhile to run. Interrupting this process is not a good idea. Let it finish.

TheDakPowers

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
I tried typing in "chkdsk /r c:" in my cmd, but it came up with "Access Denied as you do not have sufficent privileges or the disk may be locked by another process. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode and make sure the disk is unlocked."

TheDakPowers

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
Sorry to waste your time, just found out that it was a portable harddrive that made it slow, once i pulled the harddrive out, everything went back to normal. But anyway thanks for your replies.

Solution