Buy MSI GS65 Stealth now or wait for 11XX series

Status
Not open for further replies.

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Hi,

I was going to buy the GS65 with the 1070 but when I was about to I saw the news about the new series announcement next month or so. The reason I am buying is because I have a brick Alienware 17 what is like 15 lbs to carry around and I am sick of it... also has GTX 1070... but performs quite well. I wanted to replace with GS65.... but just a lateral replacement and not cheap... I could wait, but could be more than 6 months for the new series to get into the laptops right?

At least six months for laptop 11xx series Nvidia GPUs. We are looking at two months at least before we even see AIB partner video cards (ASUS, EVGA, MSI, etc.) being released after Nvidia's Founder's Edition intro to them for the desktop. I'd say Q1 2019 based on history of previous new generation Nvidia releases.

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Thanks, yes 6 months was too much to wait... so I traded my Alienware 17 R4 for a Blade V6... worse GTX 1060 but a lot better on the back... should last me until the 11XX comes out on laptops..

Too bad laptops don't allow GPU upgrades and many don't allow CPU upgrades as both are soldered onto the motherboard (some allow CPU upgrades however based on the socket - I upgraded my HP Pavilion G7 from an Ivy Bridge i3 to an i7).

I have not seen a GPU that wasn't soldered onto the motherboard in many years, at least since my 2006-era Dell E1705 that came with an AGP-slotted AMD X1300. I custom ordered that sucker with the glossy 1920x1200 glossy display upgrade and that GPU and it retailed for $2,200. In 2006 dollars. It was to have been a desktop gaming replacement but didn't even last two years before not being able to play the newest games with decent performance. It was then that I realized I'll never buy another gaming laptop and decided to switch to consoles (PS3/4) for all my portable gaming needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.