Win98 Retro Build

Jul 8, 2018
So I’ve got a bit of a unique build that I’m working on and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I’m building a sff pc that runs Win98 with a GeForce 6200. The motherboard, linked below, has a 32bit PCI slot which I’ll use for the GPU. I'm trying to find a sff case that is as small as possible, has slim ODD compatibility, and allows for a right-sized PSU.

I’m struggling because most mini-ITX cases, especially the newer ones, are built for newer PCI-e GPUs So far, the SilverStone SG06BB-LITE is the smallest I’ve found that doesn’t utilize a PCI-e riser. I’d like to find one that looks a little better and if possible, one that has a horizontal layout but includes a 32 bit PCI riser.

I should mention that I’ll need to use either a SFX or ATX power supply to provide enough power to run the GPU. So, a case with DC power is out of the question as I understand (correct me if I’m wrong).

*I fully understand that I could do the exact same thing I’m trying to do through emulation. I got it. That’s not what this build is about.

https://www.jetwaycomputer.com/J7F5M.html

EDIT: GeForce 6200 not 6600

I can't find any info about a GeForce 6600 with a PCI connection, only PCI-e and AGP. Your motherboard, as you have pointed out, has a PCI slot.
Also remember that in those days a PSU needed higher amperage on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails than many newer models have.

Nigel

Jul 8, 2018

My mistake, I meant the GeForce 6200. I intend to use the Jaton GeForce 6200 256MB PCI. Thanks for your comment above. As it relates to the amperage concern you point out; do you mean older systems needed higher amperage on 3.3V and 5V for the motherboard or the GPU? I wonder how that will play out on a moderately newer MOBO. I plan to use the Corsair SF450 as an SFX option. Anyone know if that will power the build appropriately?

For one, PCI slots never used 12V, while any newer motherboard with a PCI-E slot will provide at least 75A 12V per slot. This 12V comes from the PSU. Also most newer PSUs have 12V PCI-E power connectors to give extra power to mainly graphics cards.
As for less need for 3.3 and 5V, I'm not quite sure, however despite power saving features, newer PSUs have higher amperage on the 12V rail, which can be seen by reading reviews of older and newer PSUs.
And when I say newer in this case, I mean made after about 2005, introduction of PCI-E cards.

Nigel