Advice needed on clocking an old 6350 FX

doomkaliber

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
Greetings, Forum!

Here's a rundown of my current situation: I'm currently upgrading/tweaking with and old machine, my first baby, the PC that got me into custom builds back in 2014. Most notably, I'm switching out it's GPU, replacing a 650 TI with a 1050 TI (detailed info later) and an wondering whether I, first of all CAN, and whether I SHOULD clock it's CPU. Now let's get into the construction. (Just a note I'd like to hit on again is that this was my first build. I really had no idea what I was doing.)

The spark for this question comes for the bottlenecker. I'm well aware it's pretty loose when it comes to accuracy and that it's strongly subjective when it comes to different models, but it can usually give you a good idea if you're at least in the right direction. In my case, the specifics of the GPUs I'm swapping are a Palit GTX 650 TI OC Boost 2GBs, for a Gigabyte 1050 TI G1 Gaming 4GBs. According to the bottlenecker, that's a drop form a 31% Bottleneck, to 4%, I'm assuming in favor of the GPU.

KxKmSNX.png
Cmt1HR2.png

There should be images above the text, hope this works.

Why would I even want to clock the CPU is a very valid question. The GPU I have in mind is a pretty hefty one compared to most other 1050 TIs, especially other Gigabyte ones. The idea is that I'm trying match that form the CPU's side, and clocking is (possibly/hopefully) a better option than buying a 8350 FX. Honestly, I just want to see how far I can go with it, I only started clocking with the release of the Ryzen series, so going back is pretty fun.

Additionally, before my next personal build I'd love to be able to use this machine for Content Creation such as Video Recording/Rendering, Live Streaming and such, which does in fact need it's fair share of CPU power.

The setup I'm currently running is:
CPU: AMD 6350 FX Black Edition
GPU: Palit GTX 650 TI OC Boost 2GB -> Gigabyte 1050 TI G1 Gaming 4GB
Mobo: Gigabyte Ultra Durable 4 GA-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 6.0)
PSU: be quiet! System Power 8 600W (Pure Power wasn't in stock, don't judge me)
Case: DeepCool Tesseract (Not the Window Edition)
CPU Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock
Airflow: 2x be quiet! Pure Wing Essentials (120mm, 1500 RPM) as input form the front and side panels (this is why I don't use the Window Edition), another Pure Wing and the stock Tesseract Fan as output through the back and top panels, once again both 120mm, 1500RPM.

Let's just say that a while back I thought the PC to be too loud, but didn't want to change the stock cooler for some reason so I overkilled it. Then changed it anyway... I've never benchmarked it, but had Open Hardware Monitor running for a few weeks and the CPU package failed to exceed 45 degrees Celsius.

So, since I'm rambling on and on here's a bit of structure in the form of specific questions I'm interested in:
1) Is clocking the CPU worth it, in your opinion?
2) Can this motherboard handle clocking?
3) How far can I push it within stable bounds?
4) Will there be long term effects of an increased clock on this hardware?
(Yeh, I'm really that new to this.)
And an extra one for the road: 5) Is there a way to create custom fan curves in older motherboards like the one this setup uses?

Thanks in advance for the feedback, I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions on the matter. Cheers!

That MB is not going to let you OC much although cooler would probably make it to 4.6GHz. Otherwise it would be worth overclocking, I had my 6350 at 4.9GHz but on Ga-990fxa-ud3. and large Mugen3 cooler. That way it was good enough for GPU stronger than 1050. (Rx 480)

racksmith101

Respectable
4.5ghz would probably be a safe oc on that board. It's not worth sticking an 8350 into it, the power phases are only 4+1 125w max and the 8350 is a power hungry beast that can pull way more than that once you start overclocking.

doomkaliber

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
Gentlemen, thank you for the response. I just got the call that the GPU is shipped in and that I'll be able to pick it up as soon as tomorrow. In the mean time, I'll be working to make a bit of room to hook the rig up, as renovations are under way... I basically don't have a study at the moment. I'll make sure to keep you posted with results form different experiments and I'll likely document them in case other people find themselves in a similar situation. Cheers and gratitude for the fast response!