C Drive is filling up without almost anything on it

Affelaffe03

Honorable
Oct 28, 2014
As the title says my C drive is almost full at 2.80Gb left of my 28.3Gb drive. I can't fully reset the computer because that requires at least 8gb of free space. What I tried:
Running several different Anti Virus Programs including Microsoft's own one and Adwcleaner.
Going into Advanced System Settings and doing a System Restore (Just gave me a few Gb back)
Going into Perforamce Options and changing the Virtual Memory
Using the Disk Clean-up program several times including the "Clean up system files" option

What is there left to try?

Solution

Yes.
I have an Asus Transformer with that same size drive. It is simply TooSmall for regular use.

The large semiannual updates will fail, due to not enough free space.

However, with the most recent Update, 1803, it brings the option of using a secondary drive to help the process along.
gX4ntkj.png

If the update still fails due to space, then create a Win 10 install USB, via the MediaCreation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (NOTE: you'll need to do that from a different PC with sufficient space)
Boot from that and it will run the update from there.

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
A 32 GB SSD isn't big enough for Windows & programs. Windows makes backups of system files every time it installs Windows updates. This can fill up storage quickly. How much memory does your PC have? Did you turn off virtual memory? Turning off virtual memory might allow you to reset the device but I would buy a larger SSD. You can get a 500GB SSD for under $100.

Affelaffe03

Honorable
Oct 28, 2014

I have 4gb of RAM.
So you are saying that every laptop with as little disk space as this one is doomed to be full after a while?
Virtual Memory was turned off when I checked it the first time but I still can't reset the laptop.
I mainly only use this laptop for browsing and watching Netflix so I don't really want to spend a lot of money on it. I have a desktop PC which I more often use that I do everything else on.
With the laptop came a small 32Gb MicroSD card. So that means that the C Drive should ONLY be used for Windows and then I keep everything else on the D Drive?

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Yes because Microsoft releases large Windows 10 updates twice a year in the Spring & Fall. Example: Windows 10 1511, Win 10 1703, 1709, 1803. Press the Windows key and type "winver" without quotes to see your OS version. Windows retains all the files from the previous OS so it can revert back if the user chooses. These files are stored in C:\Windows.old. They can be removed if you need space but you won't be able to revert back. You can delete the folder. What operating system is installed on your laptop?

You could download TreeSize and scan your disk to see what is taking up space. It is most likely updates or drivers etc...

As others have mentioned that SSD really isnt up to par for Windows needs. I would upgrade your SSD to at least a 150gb if using it for only OS.

Affelaffe03

Honorable
Oct 28, 2014

I have Windows 10 1607.
If I delete the folder, Why would I need to revert back to earlier versions of windows in the future?

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007

You might experience software instability or incompatibility so Microsoft gives you a way to revert to the previous version of Windows. I doubt you need to revert back so delete the Windows.old folder. Windows will attempt to update Windows to 1803 as soon as you free up some space so you will need to do it again.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.
I have an Asus Transformer with that same size drive. It is simply TooSmall for regular use.

The large semiannual updates will fail, due to not enough free space.

However, with the most recent Update, 1803, it brings the option of using a secondary drive to help the process along.
gX4ntkj.png

If the update still fails due to space, then create a Win 10 install USB, via the MediaCreation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (NOTE: you'll need to do that from a different PC with sufficient space)
Boot from that and it will run the update from there.

Solution