1080p resolution on 4k tv QUESTION

jejemon1012

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
I'm using a 4k tv as an external monitor and I can only set it at 1080p. I want to know, if I play a 4k video on a 1080p resolution desktop on a 4k capable tv. Will it still show 4k quality video even though I set my desktop resolution to 1080p?

Solution
Either your GPU cannot support 4k or the cable you have connected is not the right standard. You need at least a HDMI 1.4 cable and capable video card. Or if the TV accepts Display Port, then Display Port 1.2.

You also need to set up your computer to output 4k. Right click the desktop and either access your video card settings or the windows screen settings.

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Either your GPU cannot support 4k or the cable you have connected is not the right standard. You need at least a HDMI 1.4 cable and capable video card. Or if the TV accepts Display Port, then Display Port 1.2.

You also need to set up your computer to output 4k. Right click the desktop and either access your video card settings or the windows screen settings.

Solution
The display will always show the default resolution of the display itself and not the source material. If you played a 1080p Blu-Ray with a player that had 4k upconversion, that would be a bit different though the source material wouldn't be in true 4K.

TRENDING THREADS