Win10 Licence from old PC to new PC

RebelPig

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
I have just built my new PC, and the Win10 activation menu in the settings won't accept my old PC's activation code... Surely there is a way to use an old activation code from a previous PC, and use it in a new PC without having to purchase Win10 all over again??

Any solution of how to fix this would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Joe

Did you follow the instructions?
1. Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Activation , and then select Troubleshoot. You must be signed in as an administrator; for more information, see Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.
2. The troubleshooter will show a message that Windows can’t be activated on your device. Select I changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.
3. Enter your Microsoft account and password, and then select Sign in. You’ll also need to enter the password for your local account if the Microsoft account you entered isn’t a connected account.
4. From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account, select the device that you’re currently using, select the check box next to This is the device I’m using right now, and then select Activate.

RebelPig

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

Your solution only works up to stage 2. After selecting troubleshoot, there is no option for "I recently changed hardware", or any options for me to sign in

USAFRet

Titan

Where did the original Win 10 license come from?
If this was a preinstalled Win 10 from one of the major manufacturers, this may not work.

While the old system was still running, did you link that license to your MS account?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

RebelPig

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

I went back onto my old pc earlier and signed in with my microsoft account to attempt to link the licence to the account. I have now signed in on my new PC with the same account but I'm not having any luck in transferring the licence