Pop-up box with "AA" and "AA" - Any ideas?

Dacker

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Hi. I'm getting this box popping up every now and then. It only happens when I click on the Windows Start button or click open file explorer. It's about 10% of the time. It steals focus and won't let me do anything in the Start menu or file explorer until I close it, although I can swap to any open tasks.

Here's the image.

I've tried using processexplorer to figure it out, but it must be titled something innocuous. Any help identifying this would be appreciated.

Oh, and I'm using Windows 10.

Solution

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623457/annoying-pop-up-when-running-a-windows-search-aa-aa/

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Start with malwarebytes. If that gets nothing, use Hitman Pro. If that fails, use Spybot: Search and Destroy.

Yes, it's malware, do not try to close it manually, use task manager. That tempting little X to close is part of the process used to further infect the pc.

Dacker

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Hey there. Malwarebytes didn't pick up anything, but I went ahead and ran each of the other programs suggested. I didn't see anything obvious but I haven't had any issues since I ran them. Sometimes there's a delay of a few days before it resurfaces so let me get back to you. Thanks so much for the help, by the way. It was driving me crazy.

One last question: I use an online password management system. Do you think this malware has placed my accounts in jeopardy? I use two-factor everywhere it's offered.

Thanks!

Dacker

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Okay, the box popped up again. It prevents me from interacting with the desktop or start menu, but doesn't prevent me from interacting with any open programs (e.g., I can run a game from Steam if Steam is already opened).

Do you have any other suggestions? I can't thank you enough for your help.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623457/annoying-pop-up-when-running-a-windows-search-aa-aa/

Solution

Dacker

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009

Excellent find - trying them now. Thanks!