Which monitor is better?

Jul 14, 2018
So I've been looking at monitors for my brand new PC something budget like 100 or less. I found these Sceptre monitors that I really like, but I want to know which one is better, if anyone else has any recommendations please offer but I want over 60 hz, the two I found are 75 hz.

So this: https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-E248W-1920R-Ultra-1080p-Monitor/dp/B01HIA63AU/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529897053&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sceptre%2Bmonitor&dpPl=1&dpID=415r-mKSVTL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1#immersive-view_1531203039541

Or this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0773ZY26F/ref=psdcmw_1292115011_t2_B01HIA63AU#immersive-view_1531543333967

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
looking at the specs of the two I will provide you with the knowledge I could gleam from the basic specs.

The first one supports up to 75Hz, but at a resolution lower than 1920x1080. That one only supports up to 60Hz at 1080p.

The second one however, seems to support up to 75Hz at 1920x1080 making it the better choice for refresh rate at full 1080p.

But, the panel technology is limited on both. Colors, brightness, and viewing angels aren't going to be that great.

On top of this, neither one supports the 75Hz mode via the HDMI connectors since the HDMI connections for either one are older HDMI interfaces meaning you would need to use VGA to get the 75Hz refresh rate, and this means an even greater loss in colors and overall image quality.

So that should answer your questions about the two you've provided. However, depending on how you answer the following questions, I may have a better option for you.

Do you have an AMD card or an nVidia card?
On top of that, does your card have a display port out on it?
More specifically, if you can just give me the exact make and model of your GPU that would allow me to look into it's specs and determine what monitor choice I can recommend you.

Jul 14, 2018
I won't be getting a gpu right now but I am looking into a gtx 1050, if I look at the first monitor and scroll down to around where the description is with the pictures, it says "2018 Firmware Update!
Up to 75Hz Refresh Rate at 1920x1080 Resolution" And I did talk to a friend who said that the monitor does support HDMI 1.4 which I read is enough to display 75 hz at 1080p. Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. Thanks in advance!

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I simply copied and pasted the monitor name and model number along with adding "specs" at the end and googled.
Go to each of these and expand the "specs" option then go down to the "signal compatibility" section and it will tell you what refresh rates at what resolutions it supports.

Here's the first one: http://www.sceptre.com/overview-398.html

Here's the second one: http://www.sceptre.com/overview-493.html

If it truly is as you say, and the second monitor has support for HDMI 1.4 then you can get the 75Hz over HDMI.

As for a software update to the other one that supposedly will make it 75Hz at 1080p, well..... it's possible, if the hardware and display controller were built properly to spec and the only initial limiting factor is simply the firmware for it. However, if the update hasn't released already, and there is no confirmed release/release date for the update then I wouldn't take the chance of assuming that it will get one and that it will do as promised. So the second one is the better choice for the 75Hz refresh rate.

However, since you say you will be looking into getting a 1050 (why not a 1050ti? It's not much more expensive but is loads better in performance, especially since it has 4GB of vRAM instead of 2GB which will help majorly in newer titles) I can recommend you the following two monitors as alternative options to look at.

They are a bit more expensive, but if you feel you can increase your budget to match then they would be better choices.

For a resolution of 1920x1080 I recommend the LG 24MP59G-P 24-Inch Gaming Monitor
which is currently discounted from $153.49 USD to $129.99 USD
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDY3SJF/
It has the size you seem to be liking. It has a sleek enough design for style purposes. 5ms response times. And most importantly, it's an IPS panel which will greatly increase the visual quality of whatever it is you are viewing on it with better and more accurate colors and wider viewing angels.

For a step up to ultrawide at 2560x1080 resolution I would recommend the LG 25UM58-P 25"
Currently priced on Newegg at $169.99 USD
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6H5EE3594&cm_re=LG_25UM58-P-_-24-025-340-_-Product
Same thing, IPS panel, 75Hz, better overall quality and blah blah blah..... but it's ultrawide.

On a side note though, when attempting to get more than 60hz over HDMI you need make sure the cable itself is a "high speed" HDMI cable and not a crappier low end cable. Only with the high speed cable can you do more than 60Hz. Look at whatever cable you possess and carefully try to see the text that is printed along it. Look to see what standard it says it is. If it's a high speed cable it will say so. Otherwise, you may need to purchase one. I personally bought a 2pack of Amazon Basics High Speed gold plated HDMI cables for about $12 USD and use one of them on my PS4 Pro with my 4K TV and it works wonderfully. The other one is either going to get used if and when I have another device that would use it or as a back up in case something happens to the current one I'm using or any other HDMI cable I have.

Jul 14, 2018
I have also looked at the webpages you sent and for the E248W-1920R but it doesn't match the Amazon page exactly, if you look on Amazon, it says that it does support 1080p at 75hz I encourage you to look at the specs in the Amazon page if you haven't already. The two monitors you sent are very nice, but the ultrawide one is a bit over my budget and the other one is similar to others I've seen. I'm not 100% sure, but is my monitor an lcd or ips? Obviously if the first monitor does not support 75 hz at 1080p as advertised, I will return and try getting the second one or looking into one of your options, thanks for everything so far!

Jul 14, 2018
Though I do believe your right and get the second one, reading some of the Q&A's on Amazon, I see that one of the questions asked about the refresh rate and one of the answers was that the default refresh rate is set to 75 hz, but there is no where written on Amazon that it's 75 hz @ 1080p, on the link you sent me, it does say that this monitor does though, the only downside I see with this monitor is that it's 16 ms response time, huge downside considering the other is 5 ms. I actually don't know what the difference feels like but I'd expect 5 ms to be better than 16 ms.

Jul 14, 2018
Yes I've just looked at one of the more recent reviews on Amazon and it says...

"This display is an anazing value at $99 you can not beat it. It is metal aluminum frame with a solid metal stand. The picture quality at full 1080p is amazing and colors are rich and bright aswell as the 75hz refresh rate is a plus. At first I could not get my computer to switch to 75hz and then I figured out it was the HDMI cable was incorrect you need a newer type cable I think they call it a 1.4 hdmi cable. Once I switched to the right HDMI cable the difference from 60hz to 75hz was like night and day. I got mine shipped super fast and came packed verywell with a nice well written manual. also easy to setup. What I dislike is that the buttons are on the back and difficult to get to if you need to make changes. the display is super thin and it really gives you a lot for the $99.00 the size of 24” is perfect for 1080p gaming or whatever else you plan on using it for. it feels and looks more like a $300.00 display then a $99.00."

This is for the first monitor