Should i get a pc for gaming ?

hamza_iftikhar11

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Hello guys,
I have been planning to build a pc with a gtx 1080 , ryzen 5 2600x with a 1440p 144hz display for quite a while .i am a 9th grader and my father is going to get me this pc which will cost 1700 us dollars with the monitor trolly chair even the keyboard mouse and all and he has confirmed that he will get me the pc but i myself am not sure that i should get this or not because this is a huge amount and for this money i could get a great amount of other things i have wished . I could get myself a camera (DSLR) for my photagraphy need. Adrone for my piloting needs. And what not . That amount is a fortune for some .
Moreover i have ever done gamimg on my xbox 360 with a 49inch 1080p tv . And once on a pc in a gamimg centre(1080p50fps) i have some concerns . First the amount and then the fact that the monitor is going to be 27 inch as i have always used that gigantic tv all my life so i dont think that the monitor would satisfy my needs( or would it?) Secondly the fact that 4k consoles are out and soon everyone would be into 4k gaming on even more optimized 4k consoles for very less cost when i would be stuck at 1440p. I mean gtx 1080 is not recommended for 4k gaming . My friends would me mocking me for being on 1440p As i have always sides with pc gaming while they have with consoles. So please tell me that would the pc be worth all the struggle and the money and would the money be spent in the best way possible? Wont i be uncomfortable and be frustrated by the comparitively smaller screen and wont i be missing out on 4k gaming

Solution

That really depends a lot on how far you are sitting from the screen. Usually, you'll be sitting closer to a computer monitor than to a television, so it will fill just as much or more of your field of view. For example, if you are sitting 2 feet (0.6m) from a 27 inch screen, it should fill as much of your field of view as a 54 inch screen viewed from 4 feet (1.2m) away.

4745454b

Titan
I have been planning to build a pc with a gtx 1080 , ryzen 5 2600x with a 1440p 144hz display for quite a while .i am a 9th grader and my father is going to get me this pc which will cost 1700 us dollars...

Honestly this is something you need to talk to your dad about if he's the one footing the bill, not you. I know you could spend ~half that and still end up with a good gaming system. Not every gaming PC has a 1080 and higher end CPU.

First the amount and then the fact that the monitor is going to be 27 inch as i have always used that gigantic tv all my life so i dont think that the monitor would satisfy my needs( or would it?) Secondly the fact that 4k consoles are out and soon everyone would be into 4k gaming on even more optimized 4k consoles for very less cost when i would be stuck at 1440p... My friends would me mocking me for being on 1440p As i have always sides with pc gaming while they have with consoles.

Here we get to where I worry I'm going to come across as a jerk. Trust me, not what I'm trying to do. But when I read your post what I heard was "even though dad is spending $1700+, I'm going to have a small monitor and my friends are going to laugh at me." In terms of size, remember that you sit much closer to a monitor than you do a TV. You also need to consider pixel density/pixel size. 1080 on a 27" monitor can look much better than the same number of pixels stretched to 49". On the 27" they will be smaller pixels and closer together. As for friends, I know you are ~15yo and still have a lot to learn, but the sooner you worry less about what others are doing the better. You do have a valid point about 4k, but that's more of a budget issue than anything else. Those that have the budget can move to 4k. Those that don't, don't. I don't think 4k has totally hit "have to have" yet, but we are getting there. In your case this isn't a big deal as in a few years you'll be out there, working, and upgrading this current rig. Moving to 4k might be very doable.

i have always sides with pc gaming while they have with consoles...i have ever done gamimg on my xbox 360

??? If you've never done PC gaming, why defend it? Why drop nearly $2k on something you might not even like?

That really depends a lot on how far you are sitting from the screen. Usually, you'll be sitting closer to a computer monitor than to a television, so it will fill just as much or more of your field of view. For example, if you are sitting 2 feet (0.6m) from a 27 inch screen, it should fill as much of your field of view as a 54 inch screen viewed from 4 feet (1.2m) away.

The current "4K" consoles actually render most demanding games at resolutions below 4K, such as at 1440p, then upscale the image, stretching it to fill a 4K screen. Only some less-demanding games tend to get rendered at native 4K, 60Hz. So, technically 4K console gaming isn't quite a thing yet. That makes sense, considering even the highest end PC graphics cards currently available can't quite push 4K resolution at ultra settings and high frame rates in many games.

In any case, I don't think resolution is quite as important as some people make it sound, and it's often not worth the cost associated with making the image slightly sharper. Past a certain point, it becomes harder to see the difference from adding more pixels, unless you are sitting really close to a really big screen. For a 27 inch monitor, you would likely be hard-pressed to see the difference between 2160p and 1440p in a game, unless you really looked for it. Both should look sharp. However, 2160p requires the graphics hardware to render more than twice as many pixels compared to 1440p, so it requires around twice the processing power to achieve the same frame rates at the same graphics settings. In my opinion, games will look better at 1440p with high graphics settings and smooth frame rates than they will at 4K with medium settings and unstable frame rates, so 1440p is arguably the better option at this time. Even 1080p is arguably still a good resolution, and can achieve higher frame rates on less-powerful graphics cards.

And while it's not a direct comparison due to differences in the architecture and platform-specific optimizations, in terms of overall rendering power, an Xbox One X's graphics hardware is actually only somewhere between a GTX 1060 and a 1070, and a PS4 Pro's is somewhere below a GTX 1060. And their CPU power is quite weak, comparable to an AMD processor from at least several years ago. By PC standards, that would not be considered "4K" gaming hardware at all, but between careful optimization, reduced settings and often upscaling from lower resolutions, they can sort of make it work, at least some of the time. A PC with a GTX 1080 and any modern CPU will clearly be more powerful though. As for the consoles coming out in another two or three years, who knows? There's always the option of replacing the graphics hardware on a PC though.

What are the other planned specs for the system? It's possible that the system's cost could be brought down without affecting performance much.

Solution