Draytek 2860 Router and LAN Question

lusk

Reputable
Feb 11, 2018
My house is part wired with CAT 5 with all points going back to and through an un-managed switch. One port of the switch, there is a Draytek router plugged in and there aren't any other ports used on the router. Also, inside the house, there are two Draytek wire less routers which i connect my ipad and phone to depending upon what part of the house I am in.

The issue that I have is that when watching videos on You Tube on my iPad, is there is a lot of buffering (I think this is the correct terminology) going on and even if I have to drop the quality down from 720 to 360, there is still a lot of starting and stopping going on.

In terms of download speed, give or take a few Mbps, my provider is giving me downloads of 30 mbps.

So, I am wondering whether this buffering is caused by a busy network which mine is as there is a lot of network traffic going across the network (CCTV as an example).

With my network as it is and taking into account the position of the router in relation to the switch, can anybody tell me whether it is possible to set up QOS on my router or would I need to have a managed switch in place to overcome this buffering problem?

kanewolf

Titan
A switch, will only route traffic to the ports it has to. So unless there is someone streaming CCTV on the same ethernet port that supports your WIFI source, the LAN traffic shouldn't impact.

What model are the Draytek wireless routers you are using for WIFI?