Monitor flickers for about 4 minutes after being powered on

Noxian

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
Yesterday my monitor (Samsung SyncMaster P2370) started flickering after being powered on. It will flicker intermittently for about 4 minutes and then stop. It only happens after the monitor has been off for at least approximately half an hour, if I turn it off for only a few seconds to few minutes it doesn't flicker.
I've had this monitor for almost 8 years now and lately I've been noticing screen burn-in so it's definitely starting to show its age.
With that in mind, could it be just the cable or is the monitor dying?

Solution
The P2370 uses a CCFL backlight, not LED. Flickering and instability while the lamp warms up are one of the signs that the CCFL lamp is dying (which isn't surprising on an 8-year old monitor - CCFLs normally only last about 5-7 years).

https://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/full_line_brochure.pdf

While the lamp can be replaced, I would suggest simply getting a new monitor. CCFLs also decrease in brightness and color shift with age. LED backlights do not suffer these problems, have longer lifespan, use less power, and do not contain trace amounts of mercury which can be released into the air if you should break the lamp. Pretty much all monitors made in the last 5 years use LED backlights.
The P2370 uses a CCFL backlight, not LED. Flickering and instability while the lamp warms up are one of the signs that the CCFL lamp is dying (which isn't surprising on an 8-year old monitor - CCFLs normally only last about 5-7 years).

https://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/full_line_brochure.pdf

While the lamp can be replaced, I would suggest simply getting a new monitor. CCFLs also decrease in brightness and color shift with age. LED backlights do not suffer these problems, have longer lifespan, use less power, and do not contain trace amounts of mercury which can be released into the air if you should break the lamp. Pretty much all monitors made in the last 5 years use LED backlights.

Solution