Question First PC build help

kazoo8043

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018
Hi,

This is going to be my first pc build and i need some info because some things aren’t clear for me
Here are ALL my parts ;

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Coolerm stock cooler from the R5 1600
Motherboard: Asrock AB350M pro4
Storage: WD blue WD10EZEX 1TB HDD
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3GT OC
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4 2400Mhz (2x4gb kit) HX424C15FBK2/8
Case: Sharkoon VG4-W red
PSU: corsair VS series VS550
Diskdrive: LG GH24NSD1

1. Are all these parts compatible with eachother straight out the box (no BIOS-update or anything like that).

2. Is the RAM compatible with the motherbard? I saw on the QVL list of the Asrock AB350M PRO4 that the 2x4gb kit of HyperX HX424C15FBK2/8 isn’t listed in the QVL list. Link: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#Memory

But i noticed that a similar RAM code is listed in the QVL list,
HX424C15FBK2/8 (my ram, which isn’t listed in the QVL list)
HX424C15FBK4/16 ( ram that is listed in the QVL list)

The only difference are the (K2 & K4) part and the (/8 & /16) part of the code
K2 means kit of 2 and k4 means kit of 4. /i8 means 8gb total memory and /16 means 16gb total memory. That means a 4x4GB kit does work on the motherboard so would a 2x4GB work too?

3. Is a 550w psu enough for this build? Im not planning to upgrade.

4. Will this OC edition GPU work straight ot of the box or do I need to do some tuning.

5. After installing windows, do i need to install the drivers for the motherboard and the GPU?
If yes, how is it possible to i get video from the gpu without installing drivers for it?

6. I saw all those utilities like Asrock RGB led, Asrock A-tuning and Xfast LAN. Are they in the BIOS or do i need to download them?

Any other tips would be appriciated cuz im noob.

Last edited:
Your parts list looks okay but the Power Supply I would double think about as there are some mixed reviews out there but it will work in terms of power for running your system....in terms of choices maybe others can add something.

Question 4 Will OC edition work straight out of the box - YES

Question 6 After installing windows, do i need to install the drivers for the motherboard and the GPU? YES, Windows will install all the basic drivers including a basic GPU driver for Nvidia. Then install all the motherboard drivers...Go to the ASRock Support page for your motherboard and install the latest drivers...do not rely on any CD...not sure if you still get CD's

Question 6 The ASRock utlities are better downloaded from ASRock so that you have the latest versions...They will NOT be in the BIOS..

Hope this helps...

1. Ryzen is picky about ram so check very carefully.

2. If not on the QVL list explicitly, go to the ram vendor web site and access their ram selection app.
Enter your motherboard and you will get a list of supported kits.

3. 450w is fine for GTX1060 .550w is ok. You can run a card as good as a GTX1080.
Of more importance is the quality of the psu. Corsair VS is a poor choice; tier 5/6 on this list:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
Buy a top quality psu. Seasonic focus is a top unit and is often on sale.

4. Graphics chips are binned and the better ones are used in factory overclocked cards that can sell for more.
You need do nothing, in fact I urge you to not bother trying to overclock.
Graphics cards have a default low res mode that does not need any drivers.
Once you install the drivers, you will get full display resolution.

5. Windows will install what it thinks are good drivers.
But, you might use the supplied cd to install drivers that might work better.
Do not take the easy route and install all from the driver cd.
If you do, you will be loaded with trialware and software that you don't want.
Select drivers only option.

6. I would not install any of these, at least initially(see above).

Later, you might want to install drivers directly from the vendor web sites. Particularly for graphics drivers.

I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games.
But, many things default to the "C" drive.
When a SSD nears full, it will lose performance and endurance.
240gb is the recommended minimum.

If you can go 240gb, or 500gb you may never need a hard drive.

You can defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.
It is easy to add a hard drive later.

Samsung EVO is a good choice for performance and reliability.

MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip phillips screwdriver.

1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functuonality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise the graphics card.
3. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins
4. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
5. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
6. Install windows.
7. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
7. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft security essentials is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
8. Install your graphics card and driver.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.

9. Update windows to currency.
10. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
11. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.

kazoo8043

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018
Thanks for the replies. The 1060 oc edition is cheaper than a standard 1060 gpu at the shop, so thats why im choosing the oc edition. The ram is suitable so thats not a problem anymore. I also found a new psu, seasonic s12II 520w. Is this psu good enough? I dont want to spend too much money because i mainly use the pc to play free games like fortnite and streaming them. Maybe there is a cheaper build with other parts so i cant consider buying a ssd too. This build is 700€ and a build for 500-600€ would be perfect.