Upgrading my 5 year old pc, need help. psu?

Jul 16, 2018
First of all Hello! first time posting(just for this cause and i really do need help not to mess this up)

I'm looking to upgrade to a new pc after 5 years with this one. Currently studding 3d modeling and would love to learn simulations later on.

What i have in mind is a gtx 1070(gigabyte) and a 2700x ryzen cpu, somekind of 128gb ssd and push as much ram as possible into this machine.

So what do you think? does the gpu and cpu go well together? how big of a psu i would need for them? ( psu is the biggest thing im having trouble with ) and if you have any mobo you could suggest?

Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

A decent 550w is plenty.

& yeah the 2700x will pair with ANY gpu that,suits your usage/purpose.

Boards ? Dependant on location/prices.

There isn't actually a single 'bad' x470 board out there.

Ssd's? But a 240gb minimum , the price difference between 120 & 240gb is generally only $25 or so.

120gb drives are poor value comparatively

Jul 16, 2018
Thats good to hear about the ssd will check it out ( currently sitting on a 64 gb one ).

I have a corsair gs500w from about 4 years ago, would you say its a good idea to keep it or get another one?

An unrelated suggestion; something I wish I'd have done when I was in school - get a pair of hard drives to store your projects on and set them up in raid 1 (mirrored).

...Nothing like losing 100+ hours of work to make you take redundancy seriously :)

According to this:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
the GS units from Corsair are in tier 4 of a 7 tier list, so a little below mediocre. Since it is 4 years old, I would recommend a 550-600 watt unit from tiers 1 or 2 of the list. The PSU is the heart of your system, without it NOTHING works! The PSU is the only component, that if it fails, can destroy ALL of your other components. Never "Cheap Out" on the PSU! It is false economy.

Jul 16, 2018
madmatt - Thanks wasnt thinking about it like that.

das - Thanks for the add, it looks like a solid build and might save me some critical shekels, did you oc you mobo? i'm looking at the specs at their website and didnt quite understand what they meen about the ram part the 3200 has (oc) near them

quil - You made start learning in to what raid is and added a set to to my plan ^^"

clark - Thank you for bringing it up.. it reminded me alot to keep it short

I'm currently looking at ram for the x470 Aorus on ebay, and they doesnt have a specification for ddr 3200, am i missing something or is it just something new that wasnt yet added to ebay?