Windows 10 updates messed up my PC and wasted full day trying to recover! I WANT IT PERMANENTLY DISABLED!!! PLZ HELP!!

manish30885

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
Hi,

My Windows version was 1706 I believe and it was running smoothly for almost full last year, just yesterday, it installed few updates and the next thing I saw after I booted it up was a frozen welcome screen!

I tried to recover it by restarting many times but it kept getting stuck at startup.

I was in the middle of very important client project and I decided to install windows from scratch as much as it hurts to say that ... my whole day wasted due to this BS when in fact everything was running smoothly before that damn update :(

PLEASE HELP ME TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DISABLE THIS UPDATE PERMANENTLY.

I don't want any new freezes on my fresh install.
That said, if you're suggesting me it's for my own security... well I already have good third party antivirus and I am happy with it. Atleast it doesn't mess up my system like MS updates does.

I have heard disabling windows update services as well as setting metered connection DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE.

I want 100% working solution.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Welcome to Windows 10. The behavior you are experiencing in being unable to stop updates is by design. It's unfortunate that sometimes a major update will not go smoothly, but Microsoft has assured users of Windows 10 you should only expect major updates twice a year.

There is little you can do to effectively mitigate the problem. You can do as The_Prophecy suggests and disable your internet connection until you are ready to have updates forced upon you, or you can hack up Windows 10 to the point you will have worse problems than what you're trying to avoid. Neither option is very good.

Best solution if you are going to continue running Windows 10 is to figure out why your updates are failing and fix that. It could be anything from...
The only way to really do it is disconnect your machine from the internet permanently. Everything I found mentioned disabling the Windows Update service and setting your network connection to metered, which I also heard does not work anymore. I know it's not what you want to hear, but updates can be deferred in the Settings menu by up to I believe 30 days if you have Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise. Updates cannot be deferred on Windows 10 Home.

Best thing you can do is have a back up of your data in case anything does go wrong. Cloud solutions like OneDrive, Google Drive, or DropBox are handy, though if anything goes wrong and you're in a real bind, having a copy on some local physical media like a Samsung T3 or T5 portable SSD is another solid option.

Welcome to Windows 10. The behavior you are experiencing in being unable to stop updates is by design. It's unfortunate that sometimes a major update will not go smoothly, but Microsoft has assured users of Windows 10 you should only expect major updates twice a year.

There is little you can do to effectively mitigate the problem. You can do as The_Prophecy suggests and disable your internet connection until you are ready to have updates forced upon you, or you can hack up Windows 10 to the point you will have worse problems than what you're trying to avoid. Neither option is very good.

Best solution if you are going to continue running Windows 10 is to figure out why your updates are failing and fix that. It could be anything from incompatible hardware and drivers to a lack of disk space.

You should be able to push the update out if you are currently using the PC, but other than putting it off for a short while, once you know an update is inbound, you should absolutely make certain you have a backup plan in case the update torpedoes the system, including backing up any projects you are working on.

Solution

manish30885

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys. Well I really had no choice but to reinstall windows again and revert back to older version. Sometimes older versions are more stable for your hardware than any new version unless specifically a new program demands an updated windows which is very rare.

As they say, never fix what already is working. Seems like there really isn't any "official" method to disable the windows update or even stop windows from updating without your permission.

Wow so 1803 version also is known to give those startup issues ... thanks for letting me know, I shall stay away from that version update as well.

For now my current version 170x works just fine.

Hopefully I didn't suffer any data loss. I keep most of my important client projects on other drive/partition.

It is possible to permanently disable Win10 updates, I just done it on my friends brand new PC about 2 weeks ago (after running all updates). reverting this process is possible, just a bit slow.
Overall, it will take about 20 min at slow pace. Interested? I also removed completely Cortana (due to Privacy) and disabled Defender (runing Malwarebytes Premium and Avast Free instead).

USAFRet

Titan

Thank you for volunteering to be Patient Zero for the next major malware outbreak.
:pfff:

You did not see that MBAM and AVAST are installed?

And this is for you

computers-update-updating-upgrades-computer_setting-computer_virus-gcan146_low.jpg

At least Toms advisers will something to do, he he.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes I did.
And they are not foolproof.

Let's consider a recent major virus outbreak, WannaCry ransomeware.
Panic panic death destruction.

Microsoft released a patch against that 2 months before it was seen in the wild.

Of course, those who willfully turned off OS updates were wide open to that.
The rest of us, not so much.

The vast majority of affected systems were the Unpatched. AV or no AV.

I bow to your superior knowledge and experience, sir.

It is all depends on user.
I, personally, have only MBAM on my Win8.1. I don't remember when I run updates last time. No viruses and no other crap.
I just learned about this ransomware attack from you.
Why?
It is all depends on how you browse internet (I have noscript and Adblock always on), if I see something fishy, I am out.
Emails. Open only from someone I know or expect. Not sure - sandbox.

Piece.

USAFRet

Titan

This is why OS patches are important:
https://betanews.com/2018/08/05/tmsc-iphone-chip-maker-virus-attack/

SigmaTheFox

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
The most you can do that I know of is postpone both yearly major windows 10 updates for an entire year by opening the settings, going to update and security, choosing advanced options in the Windows Update tab and change the "A feature update includes new capabilities and improvements. It can be deferred for this many days:" to 365 days. I have it set like that because I kept getting the same issue as you, windows updates messing up my pc and now that I have a new one with an SSD I try to reduce the amount of windows reinstalls with that.

The behavior of the OS in question is by design. If the behavior is that big of a problem, I suggest you look for an alternative. You might consider the LTSB (Long Term Service Branch) for Windows 10, but understand that this version comes with it's own set of behaviors, and you might not like those any more than what you have now.

36X7Z3x.jpg

A few links, which worked for me.

I am not forcing my view on anyone, if you are following those links, you do this independently with understanding the risks involved. You are not going to destroy Windows 10, but you will take CONTROL over a few things.

2DQ8MeN.jpg

https://www.wintips.org/how-to-turn-off-windows-10-updates-permanently/

StA53Ex.jpg

A few ways
https://www.macexpertguide.com/how-to-disable-cortana-on-windows-10/

https://twitgoo.com/disable-cortana-windows-10/

Do the first link, then second, if Cortana is stubborn.

And finally disabling Windows Defender (only if you have a good alternative).

I did it first https://www.windowscentral.com/how-permanently-disable-windows-defender-windows-10

And then used option 7 from here just to be sure, but you can see which option suites you best. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3569-turn-off-windows-defender-real-time-protection-windows-10-a.html

This is it.