How safe is remote desktop connection via Internet without VPN?

Yo Dawg

Commendable
Feb 25, 2017
Hello,

so I found an internship in a company where I have some free time sometimes, when my co-workers are busy and don't have spare time for me. So I would like to use that time productively by working on some projects, learning how to use software etc. However, the company has strict IT policy, so I don't have admin rights and the only software I can install is the one from companies data base (basically few CAD programs) and they must be approved by my supervisor and some people even higher than him. In short I have a clean installation of Windows 7 and can't use safe remote programs like TeamViewer, so I could use my desktop at home. But I have remote desktop connection built in.

I have read this article:

https://www.howtogeek.com/131961/how-to-access-windows-remote-desktop-over-the-internet/

It states, that doing a remote connection via Internet without VPN is possible but very very very unsafe. I was thinking of setting a VPN myself with my old android phone(problem is, it has it's screen shattered and I don't know if it's responsive), but then got an idea. I have this old PC sitting next to me, collecting dust. I have used it to play old games on LAN with my firend, so it has never been connected to the Internet and has no personal data of me.

My question is, what's the worst that can happen if I would simply use it for remote connection without VPN server? Would the PC that I would use to connect be safe or can it also be exposed to hacking? Is it worth it to use my old PC this way or is there a better solution?

Thank you for support and sorry if I wrote something stupid, I'm new to all of this networking stuff.

If they have policies that strict on software they likely have policies about unauthorized hardware being connected to the network. If they really wanted to they can easily prevent it with features on commercial switches.

It is actually more risk to have a unauthorized machine on the network than software. At least on the company machine they will likely have proper antivirus and malware software. If you hook up a machine their network security is now dependent on YOUR abilities to securely set up a machine. You would not even be here asking questions like this if you had the skills to properly set up a machine.

The best option is to use a cell phone connected via your personal mobile broadband account. You could then access whatever you like. Many companies have concerns about this....mostly because some idiot will still attempt to hook his device to the corporate network.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the policies exist for a reason and they are not gonna change them for you. been there myself and know it makes things hard to tinker with.

you're best bet is a personal laptop you can set up however you wish. this way you can learn what you want/need to on the side without risking getting in trouble.

i'm sure if you ask your boss about it, there would be a way for you to install company software onto your pc to tinker with. most places have license agreements that include off site usage.