What's your opinion for a new system case?

nanaeacp

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
Hey all,
I'm looking for a new system case for my PC, with a few demands for it, so here we go:

- This case is for use in a Media/Gaming centre scenario, it's not my main rig so it doesn't get used as much, however, it is for show so it must look pretty :love:.

- It must fit extended ATX motherboards (I'm ok with it being a massive case), as well as big air coolers such as the Noctua NH-D15.

- The ideal cost would be 100€, but it must be under 200€.

- As quiet as possible since being in a Media centre, the sounds of the fans can be intrusive.

- Being able to mount the graphics card vertically is a major plus.

- RGB fans and so on would be nice. If it does have a lot of RGB there must be a way to turn them off easily for movies sessions.

- Being able to mount water reservoirs is also a plus (again, for show).

- Finally but not least good quality so it lasts many years to come.

That's it for the requirements. The case I found that fits most of these is the CoolerMaster MasterCase H500P Mesh White, except for the fact that it seems to be noisy and it still has a few design flaws (which will supposedly be corrected in the third iteration of the case).
This PC is built with leftovers of my main rig, so despite getting older internals they do tend to be very nice, for example, I'll soon be upgrading to the new Nvidia 1100 series so this rig will get a nice looking EVGA 770 Classified.
Finally, this case is being used in a home cinema style room, it's running a 1080p projector on a 100inch screen and sporting a full 7.2 surround system (proper AV system, not a prebuilt one).

Thanks!

nanaeacp

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017

Both choices are quite nice, I really the tempered glass in the front of the lian li, pity you can't mount the graphics card vertically, The Phanteks RGB around the case looks awesome, the front panel could be nicer though, the drive bays aren't necessary these days (I think), even though it does allow me to add a Bluray player. Both choices seem better than the Coolermaster. Thanks for the reply!!

g-unit1111

Titan
If you're going to get a case with the tempered glass / RGB look that is popular these days you might not be able to get the BD-R option since a lot of these cases are not going to have 5.25" drive bays. A lot of manufacturers are ditching that route. If you want a case that's going to be a show off piece like an NZXT S340 Elite or a Corsair Crystal 570X then you won't get that option. You could get something like a Define R6 or a the aforementioned Enthoo Luxe, but if you want a case like that you will have to sacrifice features.

Sounds like you want a cube case with a horizontal EATX motherboard tray, windows, and decent ventilation.

If you are on a budget, then the Thermaltake, Core X5 might be interesting for you:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8EF5V02663

If you have additional funds available, then it might be worth looking at the semi-custom cases available at caselabs and mountain mods:

http://www.caselabs-store.com/

https://www.mountainmods.com/

Both companies ship worldwide. In keeping with hardcore enthusiasts desires, neither company provides fans for their cases. Enthusiasts typically prefer to install their favortie fans.

nanaeacp

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
@g-unit1111 The Corsair Crystal 570X does look beautiful I do like it, the Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB also looks stunning. I'm really ok with losing the 5.25"drive bays.
The Define is nice as well.

@JohnnyLucky The CaseLabs and MountainMods are a tad bit outside my price range, but thanks for those suggestions. As for the Thermaltake, hmmm I didn't consider those kinds of cases and while interesting, it just doesn't seem to roll with my tastes :lol:, but thanks for the idea anyway!!

g-unit1111

Titan

I agree. If you are going for aesthetics you will definitely be losing the drive bays. That is what happens when you choose form over functionality.

If you need a drive that badly you can always get an external one. That way it is there when you need it and not there when you dont.