Windows 10 Apps wont open

Jul 13, 2018
Did a new build recently, used Windows 10 pro as my OS on an M.2 drive. Everything worked great. I then tried downloading Star Citizen through their launcher but had lots of trouble to do that. One of the fixes recommended was to take complete ownership of my primary drive. Windows did not like that one bit. It started acting up with text, task manager wouldnt open, start menu wouldnt open, then took ages to boot. Finally decided to do a reinstall of Win 10. Ever since then, I have not been able to open any of the windows default apps or the store. I mainly want the xbox app for some of my xbox games. Ive tried dozens of "fixes" to no avail including this link: https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-apps-wont-open/ I really don't want to do another clean install if it can be helped.. I've also tried Microsofts store troubleshooter and windows update troubleshooter with no luck..

Solution
You can make a new local account and attach the email address to it so any extra logins should also work, I use a local account yet have onedrive, Store, and the Xbox app (that I have never run on this user) linked to my Microsoft account. each of them let you login. Only parts of User not linked to my Microsoft account are the users login itself and Activation, and that is out of choice... my other user is linked to the email address, I just prefer to use the local and leave other as backup in case anything goes wrong with the user (its happened before).

Make new local user, make it admin
While on old user still, Copy the contents of C:\user\username from old users folder onto new one. This gives access to everything so no need to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you wipe drive and fresh install after the bad idea of taking ownership of C? or just a reset? Did you do step 2 of that link above after the reinstall as that says to take ownership of C which is part of what started all this? Taking ownership of C is a bad idea, it stops all the system users from running processes. It might sound good but its bad in practice and users like Trustedinstaller cannot install anything.

I can't believe that site thinks its a good idea.

Are you using a Microsoft Account? Is login attached to an email address that you registered windows 10 with? Its possible the settings were saved from the previous install via windows syncing the account.

Try making a new local account and see if it has same problems - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account ( I guess it is step 13 of the link you showed)

Often only way to fix permissions like this is to fresh install.

Jul 13, 2018
I tried step 2 as a last resort. Windows still runs fine after doing that, but still no change in opening apps. The only thing I haven't tried is a new account because, yes, it is connected to my email, which in turn is connected to my Xbox account which gives me access to my games. I guess I'll try that, and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll just suck it up and do a fresh install..

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can make a new local account and attach the email address to it so any extra logins should also work, I use a local account yet have onedrive, Store, and the Xbox app (that I have never run on this user) linked to my Microsoft account. each of them let you login. Only parts of User not linked to my Microsoft account are the users login itself and Activation, and that is out of choice... my other user is linked to the email address, I just prefer to use the local and leave other as backup in case anything goes wrong with the user (its happened before).

Make new local user, make it admin
While on old user still, Copy the contents of C:\user\username from old users folder onto new one. This gives access to everything so no need to download or install anything new
It takes 15 minutes, all you need to do it login to a few things like Steam, and set up browsers.

Solution