Gorilla Glass 6 Is Ready for Your Device to Drop 15 Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Stop viewing paid click-baiting youtube trolls like that Rigs Everything guy. That deliberate fake "test" of the Note 7, which is still referred to regarding Gorilla Glass 5, was redacted by him as it was so obviously faked.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
My Samsung Galaxy S8 has all kinds of little scratches in its screen. I'm sure my Galaxy Gear HMD is useless consequently. I haven't put my phone into that thing in over a year though.

When GG5 was announced, even the company itself and tomshardware said that it would heve less scratch resistance, so it has nothing to do with a random YouTube video.
It's quite related to material science: the easiest way to make something shatter less (tougher) is to make it softer (and therefore easier to scratch). There are multiple mechanisms in action, though, so it's not that simple, of course.

I would like to see a direct answer from the company about scratch resistance.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Here are the actual words Corning used: "The glass is designed to improve the drop performance and not necessarily designed to improve the scratch performance. When we consider all hardness tests, GG5 is actually harder than GG4. Based on our testing, for scratch performance as well as the hardness testing we do that’s widely used in the industry, we believe that GG5 should be performing similarly to GG4."

The glass type is extremely similar. Even on a chemical level. It's not like they replaced it with plastic. What you're expressing is the typical internet disease called confirmation bias. You want to believe that everybody says something and start taking that for a fact.

I'm not sure sapphire is "tougher". It certainly is harder to scratch but in that same vein a sapphire screen should also shatter a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.