Samsung's New C43J89 Monitor Can't Decide If It's for Gaming or Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Given it's on the fence between the two categories, I'm not too surprised to see it doesn't include FS but it does, at least, have a workable refresh rate. If it did include FS, I wonder how much it would have elevated the cost by comparison?

There isn't a licensing fee for Freesync like there is for Gsync. So that doesn't add to the cost. But you do need a different screen controller that is capable of variable refresh. Which does add to the cost. The upgraded controller probably costs 20% more than a regular controller. Which is only a marginal cost compared to the screen itself thus you don't see a massive markup for Freesync like you do for Gsync. I think that down the line as we move into newer versions of Displayport as the standard Freesync will be available on all monitors with DP connections. It will actually be free at that point.

I'm fully aware there isn't a licensing fee associated with FS as there is with GS; however, there may be some difference in terms of hardware to allow for adaptive sync and thus my question. I can't imagine there being much of a cost differential if there is one. It was just more of wondering aloud than anything else.

Giroro

Splendid
You would have to be crazy to try to do office work on an ultrawide monitor.
Dealing with text and documentation is all about vertical space, not width.

I mean, I'm sure it's fine for the occasional homework assignment or reading an occasional website at home, but I would go nuts trying to use something like this for 8 hours a day.

Jul 20, 2018
I use 2 1920 by 1200 24" monitors now for working from home. This would take less space and eliminate the vertical bar. And my desktop resolution would be what it is now. One of the current monitors blanks once in a while so need replacements soon. Hmmm.

For work, code on one side, what it is doing on the other side. And say, three windows side by side, something I don't do now due to vertical bar.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Curved is a gimmick and not for business.
Super ultra wide may be of interest for gamers even then it's still pretty much just a gimmick and it's cheaper for them to make.
I guess we're just never going to see a good 16 x 10 monitor again. Been waiting for ages to buy a good 4k monitor that's 16 by 9 or 16 x 10 and flat!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I do prefer to do regular office work on my curved ultra-wide (3440x1440) and frankly - Its awesome with two sheets up at the same time with no bezel in between is great. The higher refresh (100hz) adds to a noticeably improvement in pointer/cursor snappiness over 60hz.

IMI - A little clever handling of windows with say auto-hotkey makes two ultra-wide screens far superior in most typical office tasks.

So disagree, ultra-wide curved isn't a gimmick, its more about what the task is and how the employee would utilize it

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
@Tanquen
I use a 19" 1600x1200 CRT, I can't really look to update to 1920x1080 LCD...

16:10 is the best aspect ratio.

Seems it's hard to even have a 2560x1440 120Hz Glossy VA monitor 27-28"

Status
Not open for further replies.