Cannot log in to windows. Cannot use start menu. Can right click start menu for the right click menu. Win10.

Jul 21, 2018
I am trying to enter safe mode to log in as my password won’t work and if you attempt resetting the password the screen goes black then the front put your password here login page initializes. I don’t see where on a msi board to enable safe mode how things are right now.

Haven’t done much of anything with software installing.
Just windows, a few steam items, games, etc; and I have the worst time trying to access my computer.

Solution
what are specs of the PC?

Did you reset password here - https://account.live.com/password/reset

Do you have a win 10 installer? If not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

So you get a black screen before the login screen or the login screen is black? Can you see the screen before it that shows a few icons along bottom?

If you do, we can try to get to safe mode from there. 1st we need to get to Advanced startup
On this screen click the power button
With the shift key held down, clcik restart button

Now if you can't access this screen, we need to use the USB to get there.
If you have an MSI motherboard, it might have Fast boot enabled, Need to turn that off...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?

Did you reset password here - https://account.live.com/password/reset

Do you have a win 10 installer? If not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

So you get a black screen before the login screen or the login screen is black? Can you see the screen before it that shows a few icons along bottom?

If you do, we can try to get to safe mode from there. 1st we need to get to Advanced startup
On this screen click the power button
With the shift key held down, clcik restart button

Now if you can't access this screen, we need to use the USB to get there.
If you have an MSI motherboard, it might have Fast boot enabled, Need to turn that off before we can boot off USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.

Both of these methods get you to the same place,

Advanced Startup
Now lets try start up repair before trying safe mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

if that doesn't help, we can try safe mode but if you booted up using a USB it may not show the startup options menu choice

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Solution