Want to make a Storage Server for home use

anchit02

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
Hello all,

I would like to build a PC dedicated for storage from old PC parts lying around my house. What I want this storage box is do is store backups of other PCs in the network. I have gigabit LAN on all PCs and have 2 smart switches (TP Link TL-SG108E X2) that supports Link Aggregation(more on that later).

I have 2 PCs (lets name them FSX & APP) on the network that I want backed up on this storage box. I want both the PCs, to transfer backs ups via LAN at 1Gbps simultaneously, so FSX can send files to the storage box at 1Gbps while APP is also sending files to the storage box at 1Gbps at the same time; this i believe is called link aggregation or LAN teaming but I'm no network expert.

I got limited supply of hardware for making this storage box because I dont want to spend too much money on this project and also availability is limited for high-tech stuff cause of where I live.
Components that I have are:
Motherboard: Asrock Z87 Pro 3
Processor: Intel Dual Core G3250 or Core i3-4160
Memory: Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600 X2
PSU: Corsair VS450
SSD (Boot Drive): Transcend 120GB
HDD (Storage Drives): HGST 6TB & Seagate 8TB (Rates for 24X7 operation)
PCI-E Network Cards: TP-Link TG-3468 (gigabit NIC) X1 or X2

So, now my question is how do I make this storage box with the given hardware and OS that I have to accomplish what I want to do regarding Link Aggregation? I understand that Windows 10 does not support link aggregation would would really want to use a Windows OS as I may use the storage box for web browsing and emails from time to time. Is it even possible to do what I want to do given the hardware that I've listed above? Any help or instructions will be highly appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
Link aggregation is absolutely NOT required for this type of use.
At all.

Backups do not need to happen "all the time" or simultaneously. And even if at the same time, your gigabit LAN is just fine for this.

Either the G3250 or i3 CPU will work for this. It does not need a lot.

I have all my house systems do a backup nightly or weekly (depending on use), to my Qnap NAS box.
In your case, your i3 system.

Read here for my functionality:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

the link aggregation if supported on both sides can make the 1Gbs into 2Gbs or more. Not really worth it just for backups. if you have the stuff for it you could try it though.

turnkey linux is easy to use. freenas is another option. you do pretty much all the config on a webpage.
ubuntu is fairly easy to do it on as well with lots of docs and a full gui.
proxmox is a vm server and you can run one of those on it, plus any other vm if you have any interest in running more.