Blurry Movement on Monitor

manwithnoshoes

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
I have a Dell S2716DGR, 27 inches, 1440p with 144hz refresh rate. For the past couple of months, all movement onscreen has had the slightest blur to it, like a permanent motion blur setting. It's especially evident on any text, and is starting to get annoying. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or should I get another monitor? I've heard this kind of thing can damage your eyes, and I don't want to risk that.

1) GSYNC - are we talking about games or just the desktop?

GSYNC will vary the monitors refresh rate in a game (if under 144FPS) whereas the desktop should be locked to 144Hz.

2) confirm desktop is 144Hz (higher refresh rate means less blur usually)

3) I doubt this can "damage your eyes" though it can cause some eye strain to your eye muscles

4) There is an "overdrive" monitor setting that can help reduce blur further (though it should not be too obvious now) but it can cause other issues like artifacting... plus if you didn't even change any monitor settings then it's probably NOT the monitor

Summary:
I'm almost 100% certain sudden "blur" is not indicative of a failing monitor.

No just leave it here. If it's Windows issue it's still related to the monitor.

Not sure I can help as I can't think of a good reason why you'd now get some blur but I saw something about calibrating the settings that MAY help color:
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/4u2owl/monitor_dell_s2716dgr_27_1440p_144hz_gsync_tn/

OPTIONS#1
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
If you have a spare drive then maybe try installing Windows to that via MS Media Creation Tool:
a) insert 8GB+ USB stick
b) download and run tool
c) shut down and unhook all drives except the spare drive
d) boot to USB stick and install Windows
e) install NVidia driver, set to 2560x1440 144Hz
f) test to see if issue remains

OPTION#2
Try monitor with a different PC that can handle 2560x1440, 144Hz (the graphics card) and see if issue still exists

manwithnoshoes

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

The issue has persisted through a couple of different drivers, so I don't think that's what it is. The second option is an excellent idea, and I'm going to try it this weekend. I'm also going to get a friend over to try the monitor out himself, see if it's the monitor or just me.

manwithnoshoes

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

Both games and the desktop are set for 144hz. Good to know this probably won't damage my eyes.

Feb 29, 2020
I have a Dell S2716DGR, 27 inches, 1440p with 144hz refresh rate. For the past couple of months, all movement onscreen has had the slightest blur to it, like a permanent motion blur setting. It's especially evident on any text, and is starting to get annoying. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or should I get another monitor? I've heard this kind of thing can damage your eyes, and I don't want to risk that.

Sorry if its way too late but maybe it can help others. Using the buttons on your display, go to you settings then go to display. Look to see if your response time is set to fast. I noticed that when its set to fast, the issue mentioned occurs and once I set it to standard its fine. I just picked up the monitor so I was checking to see if anyone else was having similar issues.