Multiple BSOD errors, System hanging unpredictably, Windows Defender unable to start, Need help

dudueguyy

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Hey all, very frustrated with my current situation. I've been trying everything I know how to do to try to fix it but no dice. Figured maybe somebody smarter than myself would know what to do.

I've got a litany of problems right now. Running Win10 at the moment. Here are my issues, in no specific order:

• BSODs with errors entitled DPC_Watchdog_Violation & Driver_Corrupted_Expool that seem to occur randomly and obviously result in reboot.

Computer randomly hangs, typically after a click or other basic input (no specific program or action elicits this) and becomes unresponsive, requiring hard reset.

Recently tried to install 2018-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64 but it initially said some files failed to install. My update history shows KB4345421 successfully installed on 7/22 and KB4340917 failed earlier today but also shows successful installs TWICE earlier today. I don't know why it would install twice. Is there a way to verify the update was installed successfully?

When I try to open Windows Defender, I get a progress circle flashing very rapidly next to the cursor but it does not open. I cannot stop the Windows Defender Security Center service or end it in Task Manager. Bitdefender likewise will start but either fails to scan or tells me their service is unavailable & to restart.

I'm also unable to add a new account to the Windows Mail app. Initially it told me my main accounts were out-of-date and needed fixed. But clicking to fix them merely gave a notification that Windows cannot do that. I deleted the accounts and attempted to re-add but both an Outlook & Exchange account would not add successfully, creating an endless loop of sending me back to the "Add New Account" main menu.

Occasionally after a blue screen or hard reset, get sent to Windows Recovery startup menu instead of regular boot. Clicking Restart my PC generally results in normal boot to login screen. Have had a couple times where powering up after hard reset results in power to PC tower power light but no peripherals and no output to monitors. Very odd.

Things I've tried to remedy the situation. May be a bit of overkill, but nonetheless:

• MalwareBytes scan revels no issues.

Avast Free scan reveals no issues.

Having issues getting Bitdefender to work, but it's currently scanning so hopefully it finishes. (Just got a DPC_Watchdog_Violation 1% of the way into scan :(

Windows Defender obviously not working. Tried to change registry value to 0 on advice from a Microsoft help topic but no dice.

As I understand it, TPC_Watchdog_Violation is typically fixed by reinstalling a faulty driver, specifically under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Seeing no devices with driver errors, I downloaded Driver Booster, which found several outdated drivers that Device Manager could not automatically detect, including the above controllers drivers. I updated both using Driver Booster. Still getting TPC_Watchdog_Violation intermittently.

SFC /scannow reveals no issues.

mdsched.exe revealed no issues with RAM when I successfully completed scan earlier today.

Switched to Clean Boot - didn't appear to fix anything, nor could I open Windows Defender using it.

Running chkdsk D: /F on my secondary storage hard drive from recovery boot menu: "CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap. Windows has made corrections to file system" in stage 3. Resulted in blue screen when run as admin during normal boot.

All of these errors tend to appear mainly when I'm using Windows programs, though not exclusively (as I did get a blue screen during Bitdefender scan earlier). I'm wondering if I've got a seriously screwed up software issue somewhere or whether some of my hardware is failing. I'm obviously a bit afraid of my machine bricking itself seeing as how it's been non-responsive and not powered peripherals a couple times after rebooting.

Any ideas of things to try? I'm all ears. Let me know if you need any additional info. TIA!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and I will get someone to convert the file into a format I can read

What motherboard do you have? I wouldn't have run driver booster as 3rd party driver updaters can download the wrong drivers. My PC has Xeon drivers on it from when I didn't know any better and used Driver booster. Last time I ran it it killed all sound on my PC, Its only good point is it creates a system restore point before running so you can just roll back to how it was before.

If need be, we can run a windows repair install but we see what problem is 1st. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

dudueguyy

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Update:

Changed settings to allow Minidumps as you stated, but have not yet hit a blue screen today. I tried a few more things last night. Had some files in C:/Windows/Minidump this morning which I tried and failed to upload for sharing and are now no longer there.

Tried running Windows Startup Repair from Boot Menu last night. Attempted repairs for a LONG time before ultimately announcing repairs were unsuccessful. Don't know why but I figured I'd try it even though startup itself isn't generally an issue.

Ran Avast full system scan which found only one piece of malware called OpenCandy which was removed.

Windows Defender Security Center WOULD open today. Ran Windows Store App troubleshooter which noted Hanging or Crashing Apps as a problem and recommended resetting individual apps experiencing issues. Tried resetting Mail & Calendar so I could add my Outlook/Exchange emails but still unable to do so after reset.

Ran SFC /scannow and Chkdsk on C: still report no issues.

I created a restore point prior to updating drivers. No issues thus far similar to your loss of sound; everything seems functional, though I did get a TPC_Watchdog_Violation after updating last night, so it may not have fixed the problem.

One important note: It seems all these issues began after I put my computer to sleep when I was gone for the weekend. When I got back, it was unresponsive but power indicator light on front of tower was on, so I stupidly hard reset. Could that have screwed up my SSD since it was in Sleep mode?

Let me know what you make of all this. I'll update with a Minidump file as soon as I blue screen again.

TRENDING THREADS