OneDrive as a backup solution from Office 365

m1nty

Reputable
Mar 5, 2018
Hi,

I was hoping someone can help me with setting up my OneDrive as a cloud backup solution since I just got Office 365. Right now, I am using WD SmartWare to backup my documents (~125 GB) that I save in my HDD onto an external HD, but I also want to save those exact same documents to OneDrive and have it sync simultaneously (~500 GB if I include my videos). Can anyone guide me on setting this up? As I navigate into the D: drive and select the folder where all of my documents are kept, right click into properties, I am not given the "Location" tab to move those documents.

M1NtY

Follow this guide to save (sync) your documents to OneDrive.
You will have the opportunity to select which folders to backup and whenever you edit or add more files on those selected folders they get backup automatically when you are online.
Even though Office 365 comes with 5TB, it is distributed to 1TB per user.
So if you are the only user, you could create additional accounts to be able to use more storage capacity.

m1nty

Reputable
Mar 5, 2018
Thank you; this was exactly what I was looking for. After reading the guide, I am worried about the deletion of the folder on the cloud if I stop syncing the local folder. Is there a way to treat it as a backup rather than, what it seems like, a pass-through to access the local computer files elsewhere? I was hoping to keep versions of the files on the cloud.

The folders and files on the cloud will be delete only if you manually delete them.
It is not a pass-thru, folders and files on the cloud are accessible from anywhere, even if your computer is off or dead.
You don't have to automatically sync your PC or any device. You could just load folders and files of your choosing from any device (laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc) to the cloud.