windows 10 won't update to 1803

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
So i got back my pc from medion, and the hard drive was wiped. My pc came back with an outdated version of windows 10, build 10240.

Now, i tried the windows update thing, but everytime it starts over, like it prepares for the update, then downloads the update, and after that it just stops and goes back to preparing the update.

I tried using windows update assistent or whatever it is called, but after waiting a long time it says there's already something going on, that being the ''preparing and downloading update'' cycle.

I am out of ideas, it gives no errors whatsoever, it just keeps repeating. Any ideas?

use the Windows Media Creation tool (free) and create the newest bootable image on a cheap USB stick. if you have UEFI, you can boot to it and install it. But first, back up all your data (mine is in cloud and external drives) then disconnect all but the boot drive, boot to your usb and use windows installer to nuke all partitions on your target boot drive and do a fresh install.

https://windows-media-creation-tool.en.softonic.com/

I have seen this several times now, machines that cannot update, we have to just install new/clean and be done with it.

So what your going to want to do is backup your files and put the latest windows 10 build on a USB stick. it's super easy, just use the windows 10 update assistant to put the windows 10 ISO on the usb drive. Once done, reboot, boot onto the thumb drive and go from there.

You'll have to reinstall your programs but there is a way to keep your files. However i'd recommend doing a clean install anyways.

Unfortunately on older windows builds, they're running older versions of windows update which is most likely the culprit.

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018

Okay i have a couple of questions;

When i look up my bios it says 110H4W0X.111, does that matter?
Also, when i use the windows media creation tool, it will be a legitimate copy right? Like i won't lose any windows license or something?
And how big should the USB be? And can i use the usb again after that for different files?

Andi now see that TechyInAZ has commented that i should use windows 10 update assistant for it. So which one do i use? windows media creation tool or windows 10 update assistant?

Don't mess with BIOS unless you need bug fixes that fix SPECIFIC problems you are having, or to support newly installed devices, or for security reasons and new security features.

You can still use your current Windows License information once windows is installed when you activate it. Get that handy.

Your BIOS version should be fine unless you were having issues previously and determined an update is what you needed. Generally, again, I never mess with BIOS unless necessary, and cautiously at that.

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018

wait so i need the product key to activate it again?

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
But still, can i use the USB after this again for other files?
And should i use windows 10 update assistant or windows media creation for putting it on the USB?
And what is UEFI? is it a sort of BIOS?

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018

So i can still do this even if i have BIOS and not UEFI?
(sorry for asking so much but i want this to go right for once)

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
Okay one more thing, How do i do this.
I put that stuff on the USB, then what? Do I just plug the usb in while windows is still on, or do i need to shut it down first and boot it up with the USB?

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018

So i can just put it on usb, and then run it without needing to shut down windows and stuff?

USAFRet

Titan

No, you need to power off, and then boot from that USB thing you created.

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
So i booted from the usb drive with windows on it, and now im getting asked about 2 options:

If i want to install ONLY windows,
Or if i want to install a windows version with my files amd settings and stuff

Which should i choose?

USAFRet

Titan

The people who you sent your PC to have completely screwed it up.

You need to do a full wipe and reinstall of Win 10.
Create your own WIn 10 USB here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then...
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Section II, Step 6 & 7 speaks to deleting all the existing partitions. Anything "Win 8.1" or "ServerWhatever" will be gone.

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
Yeah i got the windows 10 one now, thanks for the help. The people at medion may have fixed the hardware issues, but got me an outdated windows 10 version.

It says that my partitions on the disk dont have the right order, what can i do about that?

USAFRet

Titan

During the install....DELETE all existing partitions.
Start with one blank space.

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
So even though it said that the partitions went in the wrong order, i continued anyway. Does that mean i will just have to wait till it says i can delete the partitions?
Or do i need to cancel it and delete them beforehand

USAFRet

Titan

Well...I have no idea exactly where you are in the install process.

I'd start over again.
Read and understand the above link.