No signal to monitor, unless clearing Bios every time, with GPU removed

kmettias

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
So about two weeks ago, I restarted my computer after a driver update, using a Driver Booster, but when it tried to boot up again I got no signal to my display. I tried turning it on and off a few times, unplugging the power supply, and using different monitors and cables (HDMI, DVI, VGA) but got the same results. Thinking that it may be my graphics card I took that out and tried booting from the on-board graphics, testing individual ram sticks, but still no post. I finally took out the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS, and leaving the GPU, and I finally got a post, but after a few minutes of no signal, until I was asked to either press f1 to run setup, or f2 to continue. I was able to enter the OS normal and tried to restore windows to an earlier recovery point, just in case there were bad drivers (I don't think the drivers would be an issue until you get into the OS, but either way it didn't change anything). Now unless I reset my BIOS every time and remove my GPU, I will not get a post. I even replaced the battery itself. I tried following many forums before, yet I found no solution, beyond anything I haven't already tried. At this point I'm thinking its a ruined PSU or Motherboard, but I want to make sure before spending the money to replace them, and I do not have another to test.

I actually did get the computer to boot up properly with my GPU installed, after previously getting into the Windows, and reseting, but I cannot duplicate, or remember all the details of what I did.

If anyone has any suggestions or has had a similar issue before, it would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-3770K
GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked
MOBO: MSI Z77A-G43
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws X (2 x 4GB)
PSU: CoolMax Zu-1000B

Solution
There are a few thing that I would try. I would try reseating the RAM. Remove each stick of RAM one at a time, clean the contacts, bloww out the slot, firmly reinstall the stick, and repeat for the remaining RAM. Then do the same to the graphics card. Make sure that the PCIE power cable is firmly connected to the graphics card. If you have more than one PCI Express x16 slots, move the GPU to another slot.

Within Windows check the Device Manager (using the integrated graphics and motherboard video outs (forced to integrated in the BIOS)) to see if the graphics card is identified only. If the Device manager also lists the integrated graphics (under Display Adapter in Device Manager), then there is a graphics card detection problem.
There are a few thing that I would try. I would try reseating the RAM. Remove each stick of RAM one at a time, clean the contacts, bloww out the slot, firmly reinstall the stick, and repeat for the remaining RAM. Then do the same to the graphics card. Make sure that the PCIE power cable is firmly connected to the graphics card. If you have more than one PCI Express x16 slots, move the GPU to another slot.

Within Windows check the Device Manager (using the integrated graphics and motherboard video outs (forced to integrated in the BIOS)) to see if the graphics card is identified only. If the Device manager also lists the integrated graphics (under Display Adapter in Device Manager), then there is a graphics card detection problem.

Solution
One last thing to try is to switch the graphics source in the BIOS. The default is Auto. That setting switches the graphics from the integrated graphics using the motherboard video outs to the graphics card when it is detected in the slot. Switching it goes around the detection process.

Resetting the BIOS to the defaults will remove that setting (if you run into problems).