Various Network Related Issues, Cannot Get LAN Network To Work

Jul 28, 2018
So I am currently experiencing a variety of issues pertaining to my LAN, or Ethernet, internet connection. I am unsure of where to begin.

To summarize the issue in brief, internet access via the ethernet port on my motherboard is not consistently working. My wifi works just fine, as that's handled through a network component that's in one of my PCI slots, but wired internet is not working at all. I can't get the Ethernet port to reappear currently for reasons that will be described below, but I believe that my computer is failing to automatically retrieve the IP/TCP settings. No, the usual troubleshooting steps for this did not work, including any of the ipconfig commands through the command prompt. Please see below.

On Wednesday or Thursday, I discovered that my LAN connection was not detecting a network. We reset the router, but the thing is I live with three other roommates, who all directly wire into the router with no issue. We have been doing this for the past year. I do not believe the router is at fault, as it seems far more likely that it is with my machine.

I was able to resolve the issue briefly by doing a couple of things. First, I instaled Intel drivers for the network device (Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V), which were obtained via https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=82186 . This took several computer restarts to get to install properly. The installer would simply hang there for a long time, and it was only when I immediately attempted to install it before anything else once restarting my computer was I able to successfully install those. This did not immediately resolve the issue, so I attempted to set a static IP address for my Ethernet Port by modifying the "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties," accessed by right clicking my Ethernet 2 under network connections and selecting properties. This still didn't work, so I tried switching back to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and it magically fixed the issue.

HOWEVER, the issue would be resolved for as long as I was using the machine. As soon as my computer hibernates, it reverts back to being unable to identify the internet connection. I am unable to replicate the fix that I did before. Also worth noting is that once I disable my Ethernet 2 network connection as a troubleshooting step, it is impossible to reactivate it. Trying to reactivate simply results in it telling me that it was successful, yet it remains disabled.

I am unable to perform a system restore as it is saying that a file could not be located. I have tried twice.

Another issue that recently appeared is that whenever I try to restart my computer, it takes a long time and then bluescreens with a driver_power_state_failure error. All of these issues seem to have appeared at the same time.

I am completely at a loss. I have exported my system information to a text file but it's a massively long document and I'm not sure it'll fit if I paste it in here, nor am I sure if that would be appropriate. This is the first issue I've had with this machine since I built it a couple years ago, and I'm new to this community. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist.

Solution
Check that your LAN adapter (Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V) does NOT have the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' box checked.

TRENDING THREADS