Bought replacement PSU at store, accidentally grabbed a box meant for Argentina. Is it safe to use?

jehiel

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I bought a EVGA 600B PSU to replace the one that blew out in a storm last night. I'm from America.

I thought nothing was wrong until just now I opened it and saw a power plug I never saw before in my life - apparently it is a Plug Type I (used in Argentina, http://www.iec.ch/worldplugs/typeI.htm).

Looking deeper turns out the box (and the PSU itself) has a white sticker with what looks like rating information in Portuguese. Things like "Certificado Por: IQC SA" and "Domicilio: Av jujuy 1044 Capital Federal-Argentina".

The two EVGA PSU's themselves have the exact same specification panel - one part reads "AC Input: AC 100-240V~ 50-60Hz 10/5A".

Is this safe to use anyway? I readily admit I don't really understand powers standards that well. I THINK the tech specs are telling me this is ok, but I obviously want to be 100% sure before I destroy something.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Swap the power cable for your power plug type (still C13 IEC connector), and you should be fine. The EVGA 600B has Active PFC, so it will automatically adjust to the input voltage.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most newer design psus accept any voltage from 110v-250v @50/60Hz. Regardless of the fact Argentina uses 220v /50Hz standard, the only difference is the power cord included in the box is designed for use in Argentina, not US. So either return the unit/swap it out or replace the power cord with a US capable 120v version.