Computer freezes when playing games

Jul 28, 2018
Specs :

CPU : Intel I7-7700k @ 4.2 GHz (8 cores)
MOBO: Gigabyte H270M-D3H
MEM : 16 GB Patriot ddr4
VIDEO: GTX MSI 1070
550 WATT PSU (CS 550M)

This problem started about 5 days ago. Only happens when I am playing games. Type of game does not matter. Anything from Rocket League to Rainbow Six Siege . I have reformatted 3 times now, ran system file checks, changed BIOS settings , and back to default. I have updated all drivers, I have also swapped the ram sticks from the 1 and 3 to the 2 and 4 slots. Deleted temp files. NOTHING works for me. I am a broke as hell college kid who likes to stream games, so anything you guys could come up with will be much help.

Clues:

When the system locks up, it just stays frozen, alt + f4 does nothing, nothing reacts. The system also does not go to blue screen , just stays frozen , like a screen shot. I have waited hours for the system to blue and nothing happens. However, the system blue screened ONCE, the error code I got was DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. looked up online and followed just about every online forum post I saw that I could follow. That's all I got. GOD SPEED BROTHERS!

Computer freezes are usually due to a software problem. The problem arises when either a driver or system file is corrupted, incompatible or missing. Since the problem occurs during game play, I would suspect either a graphics or audio driver. But it could also be in a Windows system file associated with the graphics display or audio.

So I would recommend first downloading and installing the graphics driver from http://www.geforce.com/drivers . If you have an audio device, download that from the manufacturer website.

Since the graphics card is also the biggest power draw in the system, I would also reseat the graphics card and check the firm connection of the PCIE power cable to the graphics card. Also confirm that all of the RAM shows up and is in the correct frequency.

Other possibilities are updating the motherboard drivers and or BIOS. And lastly if needed a fresh install of the operating system.

Jul 28, 2018

Okay will update when I complete all of this. One question, audio device as in my Logitech headset , or my sound card? thanks for your reply homie.

Update the driver on the sound card. The headset should be pretty much plug and play, but it can't hurt to update that one as well..