DistributedCom, Security SPP, and further errors in event log.

afoxinaviators

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
PC SPECS:
Windows 10 (Unlicensed Copy transferred from previous laptop)
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor
16 GB Ram
AMD Radeon RX-560 Graphics Card
EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I recently built a PC which has worked great for some time. Lately however, it has been crashing while playing games (it's intended purpose) and I finally decided to start wondering why.

The crash itself is simply a blank screen (of various solid colors, usually brown.) and a single tone BRRRT. The computer becomes completely unresponsive and requires a hard reset.

During my search I stumbled upon using the Event Viewer to watch the crashes. Using the kernel errors caused by force-restarting my PC, I still can't seem to find exactly when the PC crashes. There are only a few errors surrounding the Kernel, of 3 types.

The closest one (it always shows up roughly 6 seconds AFTER I restart) is error ID 1101, 'Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0' This could just be because I forcefully log out, unless i'm mistaken.

As best I can pin it, the closest to when the crash happens has been Security-SPP, ID 8198.
'License Activation (slui.exe) failed with the following error code:
hr=0x803F7001
Command-line arguments:
RuleId=31e71c49-8da7-4a2f-ad92-45d98a1c79ba;Action=AutoActivate;AppId=55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f;SkuId=2b1f36bb-c1cd-4306-bf5c-a0367c2d97d8;NotificationInterval=1440;Trigger=UserLogon;SessionId=1'

I am running a copy of Windows 10 I pulled off my previous laptop. I was perfectly content with the watermark and default background, but now it seems to be causing me problems... Of note is that as of late, the watermark has dissapeared. I'm not sure why, when playing an offline game (Fallout 4) my not having a proper license would cause my PC to crash, but it's literally the only error that happens in the general vacinity of when I restart my PC after the crash.

Lastly is a DistributedCom error 10016, 'The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
and APPID
{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.'
My untrained eye tells me that this means my PC is not allowing the application to run, causing it to crash. But why it would crash instead of just close the application, I do not know.

The oddest thing is that I don't download files from the internet, so I doubt i've gained anything malicious. About the most third-party program i've downloaded is a rather well-recommended audio editing software called Audacity. The rest of my PC only has Steam and Blizzard.Net, another mainstream software I feel is unlikely to have broken anything on my PC.

I would say that I assembled something incorrectly when I built the PC, or that my graphics card is broken, but as I can play other games with no issues, I doubt this is the case. The PC has also NEVER crashed like doing anything other than playing a Fallout game (I also played New Vegas, which crashed frequently until I lowered the graphics settings to abysmal levels far below my PC's specs).
If there is anything else I can provide, let me know.

Solution
When you updated to win 10, did you set up a Microsoft account and give them an email address? Does your user have same email address? If so, try to login here - https://account.microsoft.com/ - and look on the devices button on the page and see which device is still attached to your account.

If it still shows old PC, try follwoing the steps here under using the activation troubleshooter as it should let you swap across - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

A fresh install might clean off old drivers that matched your old hardware. I would get windows activated 1st and then give it a go.

Fresh Install Process
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you just swap the hdd from laptop to PC? Have you clean installed windows since moving it? Was win 10 an upgrade from Win 7 or 8? If so, you could have moved licence across and not be running unactivated today. You might still be able to if laptop is still around and you have its licence key?

which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1803 Build 17134.165

Do you have latest drivers for GPU?

About event viewer, many of the errors there can be ignored, the only ones you should look at are critical ones. If you see event 41 just after a restart, its created by windows as a result of a report that checks if PC was restarted normally, and if it finds it wasn't,. it makes event 41.

afoxinaviators

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
I downloaded the copy of Win10 to a thumb drive and uploaded it to the new PC. I haven't installed it clean yet, though i'm not even sure how I would go about that. The Win10 was an upgrade from Win8, which came with the laptop (a 2013 Dell Inspiron).
I have the laptop, and I had heard about transferring the liscense over, but never really heard how and wasn't really bothered by the watermark, until I discovered it might be causing issues...

Windows Version is 1803, OS build 17134.165.

Drivers are up-to-date.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you updated to win 10, did you set up a Microsoft account and give them an email address? Does your user have same email address? If so, try to login here - https://account.microsoft.com/ - and look on the devices button on the page and see which device is still attached to your account.

If it still shows old PC, try follwoing the steps here under using the activation troubleshooter as it should let you swap across - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

A fresh install might clean off old drivers that matched your old hardware. I would get windows activated 1st and then give it a go.

Fresh Install Process
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

Solution