Windows Install Question

knownothingguy

Commendable
Oct 11, 2017
So I'm switching motherboards, and my previous board had an OEM version of windows that wont transfer over the license. I can get a free product key for Windows 10 Education through my university, my question is how would i go about reinstalling windows on my boot drive? Would i have to clear everything off of the drive then reinstall windows, or when i reinstall windows will all the old files get automatically deleted or replaced.I'm referring to the old OS files because im moving over from windows pro to education.

Solution

There are two issues here...

1. Switching motherboard will cause a license issue for an OEM license. You can associate an OEM license with your Microsoft account (that you login with) but you'll need to do that with...

ubuysa

Distinguished

There are two issues here...

1. Switching motherboard will cause a license issue for an OEM license. You can associate an OEM license with your Microsoft account (that you login with) but you'll need to do that with the original motherboard installed. See here.

2. Many of the drivers in your existing Windows installation on your HDD are unlikely to be suitable for the new motherboard. You'll need to do a clean install of Windows and the appropriate drivers for your new motherboard onto the HDD.

Solution

SMARTZ921

Honorable
Jul 29, 2016
My mistake.

So in order to clear an OEM boot disk you have to launch disk management and then on your boot USB right click and select delete volume. Repeat until the USB has no files. Then format it. Then I'm assuming your uni lets you download a .iso file. Download that then use RUFUS (a free boot drive creator) and then you'll be ready to go. RUFUS is availble here.