How to extend partition of cloned SD card?

techNOguy123

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
In the process of changing to a larger microsd card for my galaxy s8 phone, I used win32diskimager to create an image of my old 64gb card and wrote the image to a new 128gb card. After restarting the phone with the new card, I saw that the partition was sized the same as the previous 64gb card.

Disk management and minitool partition wizard would not allow me to resize the partition. Is it possible to get the 64gb image transfered to the 128gb card while keeping the larger size?

Solution
I just checked, there is a new version and the option to perform a sector by sector clone is under the Advance options button.
I have used the EaseUS trial version to to clone a small SD card into a larger one. Just make sure to select Sector by sector clone .

Also you could just copy the content of the small SD card into the larger SD card.
You also need to copy hidden files, so follow these steps
Connect the small SD to your PC via a card reader.
Open Command Prompt and type Type: attrib -h -r -s /s /d E:\*.* and hit Enter; (E should be replaced with the drive letter of your small SD card.)
All data including hidden files are visible.
Create a folder on your computer and copy all the content from the small SD card.
Connect the larger SD card to your smartphone and format the card.
Now, insert the larger card into your PC and copy all the content from the folder. If you had two SD card readers you could copy the content form the small SD card to directly to the larger SD card. When done disconnected the card.
Now, you can insert the larger card back into your smartphone.

techNOguy123

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011

For whatever reason, I couldn't get EaseUS Trial to work either. There was no option to perform a sector by sector clone. But when clicking the regular clone partition, I am unable to resize the partition on the destination drive as is the case with every program I've tried.

I'll try the direct copy method as instructed but is that the same result as cloning an image? For reference, I'm using a USB SD card reader with one microSD inserted into the microSD slot and the other microSD inserted into the SD card slot with an adapter and performing a copy from one drive to the other.