scratched mobo with screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2018
i took my old ms7613 motherboard out on my old PC and put it into my new PC, the only problem is, i accidentaly scracthed the back of the mobo with a screwdriver. I know it dont look like much but if you look really close with a iphone flash, you can see theres copper showing. My PC runs fine and has been for 2 days, im just over thinking and worrying, what can happened, can the motherboard catch on fire? Is everything okay as it is? I was reading online and people seem to be saying that if it is working then im fine, iv just grazed the coating
Thanks,

picture links below: (If you look close it's scracthed in 2 places, both next to eachother)
https://imgur.com/NND7KTH
https://imgur.com/WBX96Cg

David

As long as it didn't cut the trace, or cause it to short to a trace adjacent to it, you'll be fine. I've heard of people putting a dab of clear nail polish over it so that moisture doesn't corrode the copper, but I think that might be overkill. The solder mask is more to keep the solder from sticking to the traces during the soldering process (dip wave).

Now if the trace is cut, it's not necessarily the end of the world. Someone who is confident with a soldering iron can bridge the two sides of the trace with solder (as long as the gap isn't too large).

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
"It's dead Jim"

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/smashbroslawlorigins/images/2/2c/Its-dead-jim.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150316200750

latest

Your PC runs, so corrosion kills it in 10 years from now, you do really care?

Jul 7, 2018
Iv been gaming on with it for 2 days and just carrying on as normal, its been working fine, my temps are fine. Whats the odds on the mobo catching on fire

Those are very small traces, so they are very likely signal traces and not responsible for power sourcing or sinking. So the chances of a fire are pretty much none existent.

Jul 7, 2018

Cool, thank you mate. Going off everything iv said and the pictures do you think iv actually damaged it at all or just grazed the board (do you think i should cover it will electrical tape or clear nail polish?)
Thanks, David

I'd say you are fine. I've worked in PCB repair (troubleshooting to the component level) most of my career and I think you're fine. That said, I'm going off of a picture that doesn't show a lot of close up detail. As I said before, as long as the trace isn't separated by the scratch, and it hasn't smeared the copper to short to a trace adjacent to it, you haven't damaged it enough to worry about.

As far as covering it, that is up to you. Personally I wouldn't bother. I wouldn't use anything like electrical tape. The problem with using a resin or nail polish is you can't be sure what it's electrical properties are (resistance / reactance) so you could make a problem. There are products specifically designed for PCB repair, but then you've got to locate it, and they aren't cheap and you'll end up with a product meant for many repairs for a single very small repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.