Will i have better image if i upgrade from "high end" tv from 2011 to TN panel monitor?

genca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2017
I want to buy new monitor but the only problem is that it's tn panel. I know tn panel have less good image so i dont want to "downgrade". Im currently using SonyBravia kdi 40ex520(i guess it is high end,because i paid almost 1k euro for it) and im willing to upgrade to AOC G2460VQ6. I dont want poorer image than i currently have because expect fps games i play witcher and ac origins too.

Solution
It will probably look better than that old TV. People tend to have the wrong idea about TN panels, if I sat you down in front of a good IPS panel and good TN panel at the same resolution I highly doubt you would be able to tell the difference. TN's just don't have very good viewing angles you get color shift if you try to look at the monitor from an angle. But in terms of color reproduction, contrast, etc most modern decent TN panels like that one are quite good.

It will be by far more responsive than that TV. Input lag will go way down also response times will be better, I bet that tv has ghosting issues when playing games which you may not even notice if you are use to it.

And it's 75hz versus 60hz on your tv. It also has freesync...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
It will probably look better than that old TV. People tend to have the wrong idea about TN panels, if I sat you down in front of a good IPS panel and good TN panel at the same resolution I highly doubt you would be able to tell the difference. TN's just don't have very good viewing angles you get color shift if you try to look at the monitor from an angle. But in terms of color reproduction, contrast, etc most modern decent TN panels like that one are quite good.

It will be by far more responsive than that TV. Input lag will go way down also response times will be better, I bet that tv has ghosting issues when playing games which you may not even notice if you are use to it.

And it's 75hz versus 60hz on your tv. It also has freesync which you can use if you have a compatible AMD GPU.

Solution
I agree with Dunlop0078, the picture quality wont be that much different, but you would be surprised in the difference in just going form 60hz to 75hz. TVs also have terrible response time which really impact gaming. The viewing angles is the biggest issue, and most people game right in front of the monitor, so it is not that big of a deal. But if you are watching content with several people across the room, then it becomes and issue.

genca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2017
Lol, watching content with people is not problem, since i dont have friends :D jk. So i wont have any downgrade in image quality. I was deciding between ips from lg which has 5ms response time and this aoc. I was only worried about image quality, but if it will be better or same as on tv i have no problem with that. Oh and can this monitor be mounted on monitor arm(if that is the name). I would like to move it away when i have to study so i can get more space on my desk? Btw, thanks for fast and helpful reply!