i5 6600k high CPU usage and performance issues.

u_siipi

Prominent
Aug 4, 2018
Hello,

First of all, I apologize if I am asking a stupid question. I've tried to locate an answer that would solve my issue, but haven't found one yet.

I've had serious performance issues lately on my computer. I mostly play League of Legends and some Fortnite, but also other games on the side. Both games have odd split second graphic stutters like they skip a frame, but LoL also has odd FPS drops whenever there's more stuff on the screen. I sent my computer to maintenance and they switched the motherboard and power source, but when I got the computer back, the problems persist. While the stuttering isn't as bad anymore, they still occur. I was suggested formatting the computer which I did and interestingly enough the stuttering in LoL specifically got even worse.

For some reason the CPU Usage has been running very high constantly with games and I can't have almost any other applications open under them. Browsers with YouTube open are a no-go. League of Legends runs on 50% CPU Usage after the maintenance which should be quite normal but Fortnite still reaches 80-100% CPU usage. I am aware that this load is also normal, but I get bad stutters and frame skips in League of Legends still and I cannot quite grasp why. Changing the graphic settings in either game has no effect on the load. I have now edited the performance settings of windows to high, but haven't tested it out yet.

What I am asking is whether there is anything I can do to "fix" this issue other than just buying new and better hardware? I am very curious about how a game that is 10 years old can cause such graphic stutters on a computer that is a bit less than 2 years old.

Thank you for all your answers and again, sorry if the question is dumb.

My setup:

Z170 Pro Gaming
i5 6600k (3,5 ghz)
1070 GTX
16 GB RAM
250 SSD

Overclock. You should be able to get all core OC from 4.3-4.5ghz with a resonable air or water cooler.

Apart from that, ensure all drivers are up to date.

Plus, check your temperatures to make sure you’re not thermal throttling.

u_siipi

Prominent
Aug 4, 2018

Could that be done with the air cooler that came with the processor? Also, any decent guides for overclocking as I have never done that before?