Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming ATX Motherboard Review: 44-Lane CPU Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2018
Actually we need Three x8 Slots not for three ways SLI , but for 2 x SLI AND an x8 Card (NVME cards or Raid cards)

you need to stop focusing on SLI and think about more cards to add. With today GPU power , we dont need more than Two GPUs of High end cards.

To be fair, Gaming is in the name of the "Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming" in regards to SLI.

If you wanted to install a raid or NVME card in this motherboard you very well could.

But this isn't a workstation motherboard and isn't marketed as such.

For your needs you would be much better suited to the ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME which supports 4 pci-e slots in a x16/x8/x16/x8 configuration, ECC ram, 3 - m.2 drives and a Threadripper cpu to make all those lanes possible.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right, so you put two cards in the first and second slot and a PCIe x8 NVMe adapter with two M.2 drives on the bottom slot. And then you use a 28-lane CPU and find that only 1 of your drives is seen, and only in x1 mode. Same complaint then?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
8 60's is worth 16 30's? Putting memory on both sides of the processor doesn't leave a great deal of room for extra power components, companies have almost universally went with higher ampacity components for there X299 models instead.

robert.sandru

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
Is anyone seriously considering X299 for gaming?

I mean it's a ROG board but as a platform the X299 is pressured on both performance and cost by better Intel and AMD solutions...

Aug 2, 2018

Why not see it if the bios is designed to see the split lanes between three slots ? I dont get your x1 mode at all , and I dont get it why only one SSD will be shown ..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Per Asus, PCIe x16 slot configuration is:
44-lane CPU: x16/x16/x8
28-lane CPU: x16/x8/x1
16-lane CPU: x16/x0/x1, x8/x8/x1

So there's your x1. Now if you're running a passive x8 adapter card, the first four lanes go to the first M.2 drive, the second four lanes go to the second M.2 drive. But, there's only one lane on the third slot with a 28-lane CPU, so if you put your passive adapter there, the first M.2 drive gets one lane and the second M.2 drive gets no lanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.